• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt Calculator ?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Nope. We make 55g at a time. Over time we've figured out how many measuring scoops it takes to get the right salinity. Once the salt is in and mixed we double check it and add water or salt to taste.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I do the same as Phyl, I know how many cups it takes to make a 55g drum and then make adjustments if need be.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I just checked it out. It says that I would need over 18#'s of salt to get a 55g drum up to 1.025. That seems high to me but I'm not sure. I usually add 9 measuring cups to get in the ballpark. I guess I need to weigh a cup full to see what it is. As I think about it though, it's gotta be close because those drums are a bit heavy and they don't last too long.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
9 Cups? Hmmm...I add 20 cups (from a measuring cup) to get close to 1.025. Now I'm worried.

On the outside of Reefcrystals it says it mixes 160gallons .. it's 48.8 lbs.

According to the caculator. It can only mix 160 gallons at 1.023 ... I guess that's average. Even though it's called Reef crystals and they should do the math for 1.026... which would be 140gallons.

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
At 1.023, the calculator states that you would need 49.08 lbs for 160 gallons. So it seems to be more or less accurate. I'm sure there is some rounding off within the calculations.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Brian said:
9 Cups? Hmmm...I add 20 cups (from a measuring cup) to get close to 1.025. Now I'm worried.

I guess I should have clarified that it's 9 SCOOPS not cups. The measuring cup is one of THESE. I looks like each full scoop is a little more than 2 cups which is pretty close to your 20.

JohnS_323 said:
Brian said:

I guess I should have clarified that it's 9 SCOOPS not cups. The measuring cup is one of THESE. I looks like each full scoop is a little more than 2 cups which is pretty close to your 20.

No worries Brian, it appears 9 of those scoops would equal your 20 cups :)

You're good Brian I go 22 cups because I don't always get a full scoop and then as Phyl says, "I salt to taste!"

That reminds me, I need 2 buckets of salt for the upgrade. Oh the hidden costs, or more appropriately "the costs I have to hide from Cindy!"