• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Salt mix gone bad

Ya I relies that figured the quickest response bought salt mix to do a small water change should be equal to ten gallons but seems to have only brought it up to 1.010 checked it out with 3 different salinity checkers already put 4 gallons in before I encountered the problem need to know if I should throw it away and change more water from the tank since I added 4 gallons already or get née salt add to the weak solution

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
I agree with @9supratt4 I would suggested editing your post and removing your number (unless you want any joe smo from the internet calling you.

So explain this situation a little more.

Did you purchase already mixed saltwater or did you purchase salt and add it to RO/DI water?

No tank is fine 1.025 cause I added water at that level my question is if the salt is bad or just weak concentrate thinking if the salt is weaker then it could possibly be a bad batch or contaminated

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Just sounds like water got into the salt causing the clumps. The salt wouldn't be 'bad' or 'weaker'. Think it as there more water present that what's in your bucket so you would need more salt.

that would also make sense how ever the water was measured exactly. The salt we use can become weaker or contaminate with the addition of humidity similar to evaporation I researched this after this whole head ache and found that they also some times produce bad batchs that slip there quality control

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just seeing this now. If the salt had turned into a brick, it had been exposed to moisture. I would recommend not using it, but it actually could still be used if after you readjust alk and calc. What has happened is that the alk and calc parts have precipitated into calcium carbonate.....that can't re-dissolve. So if you use "brick" salt, your alk and calc numbers will be way off, and you'll need to adjust. You should also see a snow-globe effect in your mixing container of the precipitated calcium carbonate white flecks spinning about.

When salt use to come in buckets, this had happened to me, where it turned into a brick. I broke it up with a hammer and used it to melt snow and ice that winter.