• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saltwater Guppies?

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Some do mollies in saltwater for algae control, don't know why one would want guppies though. Some fish from brackish can do okay in salt when acclimated, but I'm a purist- keep them separate

radiata

NJRC Member
Some do mollies in saltwater for algae control, don't know why one would want guppies though. Some fish from brackish can do okay in salt when acclimated, but I'm a purist- keep them separate
True. The site offering them also has SW Mollies in black, silver, red, yada, yada. I'm considering ordering a trio of black ones for my observation tank. They can reportedly be an early warning for ich or velvet, as both diseases show up better on black than the other Molly colors.

Salted

NJRC Member
You can buy mollies at your LFS and acclimate them to SW in a few hours.
A few hours? I would have guessed days or longer. That's a bet I'd have lost. After the last post about this I gave them a look at the lfs. There's some good looking mollies available and they're like $5. I've had zero luck with wrasses, maybe I'll try a molly.

I’ve seen nice ones,
but how long would they live after been acclaimed to saltwater?
Would they get bully?
Do they school though? That would be interesting!! Sorry not very familiar with fresh water as my tried was very short

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
If you have aggressive fish can possibly get bullied. I acclimated a pair if sailing mollies once and the female got pregnant. The SW fish picked off the fry like crazy. Unfortunately, they figured fry coming from female and destroyed her. Male tried to defend but suffered same faith. Probably getting 2 male or female will have better results. Good luck.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
If you have aggressive fish can possibly get bullied. I acclimated a pair if sailing mollies once and the female got pregnant. The SW fish picked off the fry like crazy. Unfortunately, they figured fry coming from female and destroyed her. Male tried to defend but suffered same faith. Probably getting 2 male or female will have better results. Good luck.
@MadReefer How did you acclimate the mollies in a few hours

radiata

NJRC Member
After all of the above, I think I'd prefer to buy Mollies that had bed in altwater from saltwater Molly parents.

Guppies can adapt to most water parameters, whether they are freshwater, saltwater or brackish. So they don't necessarily need a saltwater tank but can certainly thrive in one. However, make sure the amount of salt or other minerals in the water is moderate. Otherwise, it can lead to fatal kidney complications.

radiata

NJRC Member
I actually came across a second web site last week that carries both saltwater guppies and saltwater mollies. One guppy was a "Veil Tail" and second was a "Gold Lace". Here's a link to the page:

I've not ordered anything from them (yet) so I'm not endorsing them here. That said, I must admit that I find the site fascinating. Ever seen a Pink rigid Tube CoCo worm for $25? They're currently selling an orange Aussie Biscuit Starfish for $90. I've only seen a live one of these stars for sale once in my life. I paid $24 for it at the Aquarium Stock Company in lower Manhattan fifty something years ago. Yada, yada, yada...