• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saltwater Tank, Part 2

So my tank is all setup now, ill be posting pics tonight, i got my rocks and I just need to know if I should just turn on the skimmer and start cycling? Any info for this point would be greatly appreciated!

Alot of us have cycled rock without a skimmer but if I had an extra skimmer when I was cycling rock I would have used it.

So yeah, go ahead and skim. It's not gonna hurt anything.

Goodluck.

Can't wait for the pics.

Cool Cool, its a Rio Nano Skimmer I think, I'll be home before 5 so I'll take pics then and post em right away. I'll probably head back for some more rocks friday maybe. Now as far as cycling, the tank should just run its course? I think I'll add the other Karolla power head I have to in the tank so I have two in there. I have my test kit so now all I'll need is some tips for cycling

It just takes some time. Yes get the second power head it will help your flow and maybe eliminate some diatom stuff.

P8270328.jpg

P8270327.jpg

P8270326.jpg

When I 1st looked at your 1st pic I thought your background was real :eek: I was amazed. Good luck with your tank and do take your time.

Alright now i got my 2nd powerhead in there. I just turned on the skimmer and its still making like noises, kinda like a new filter for a freshwater tank when you start it for the 1st time. I did everything they said, now what is supposed to happen now with this?

I just adjusted the water flow on the side where the water comes out, a small turn on the intake tube as well, but thats it. I hear that it takes 24 hours or more to break this thing in. Any help I could use right now

Im going to need alot of help now.

1) Getting the skimmer to work right

2) Starting the cycle of the tank

Just bare with me and help me out now guys

Nice pics.

Give the skimmer 24 hours like the instructions say. I've never used that particular skimmer but i'm sure if you followed the directions you're good to go.

To start cycle you can throw some fish food in there. Not alot just something that will breakdown and give bacteria something to live off of.

After that you wait about 6 weeks, give or take, and test your water with Nitrate, Amonia, and Nitrite kits.

Keep us posted.

Needing some help with my RIO Nano Skimmer, how do I get the bubble to the top

P8270333.jpg

This is without the container

P8270334.jpg

With the container, my question is how do I get those bubbles up??

Ryan

It'd bubbling, that's great. let is run a while, it'll start to skim. It needs to get slimed up a bit first. Your tank is new there may not be a lot of stuff that that skimmer can pull out yet. Be patient, there will be plenty as the tank matures.

Like Mike said, add a small amount of food, like you were feeding a few fish, let that hang for several weeks, six is not unusual.

Be patient ... Good Luck!

Did you get the rock at Trop? Usually their stuff is pretty well cured you may not see a lot of a cycle. You need to test for ammonia and nitrates just to see what you have. Trop gives out a sheet with the basics. Someone posted water parameters here (or somewhere I forget)you should take a look. Very nice piece of rock. ;D
Only reefers would say something like that and not be referring to an engagement ring haha.

Now you have two things happening at the same time. In the cycle bacteria are growing and breaking down any live matter that you have in the tank already. If you have some die off on the rock this will create a spike in your reading for ammonia and nitrates. That is the first part of the cycle the second is that the bacteria are establishing themselves in the rock and sand. In this case it is good as you want that to happen. That will take a bit longer and you should SLOWLY ;) be able to add livestock after the spike occurs.

Yeah I'm really happy. Im going to tropi tomorrow to get some more rocks and that bio-speria that mike suggested and I'll be almost set, next week I might add a coral :)

I'd wait on the coral.

If you are really anxious to watch something in the tank, that is really still too new, what kind of fish were you planning on?

You do need to make sure ammonia and nitrites are zero first.

If you want some anthellia or green star polyps, I can give you some.

Good plan on the rock and bio-speria. But hold your horses on the coral. Planning prevents piss poor performance. Tell us what fish you plan on having, what kind of corals, and what lights you have. One florescent light will not support most corals.

Patience Grasshopper