• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand & LR

Do I need to have my sump/fuge filtration running before I can put the sand and cured LR in? I would like to start putting in the sand and LR while setting up and getting the proper plumbing for my sump/fuge.

My untested salty RO/DI water is already in the tank.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You can put the sand and rock in now. Your best bet is to put the rock in first, then add the sand. You can put your fuge online any time after that.

ReefDrumz said:
You can put the sand and rock in now. Your best bet is to put the rock in first, then add the sand. You can put your fuge online any time after that.

Any reason why you said the rock first? I ask because a buddy of mine said the same thing. His reason was so that it doesn't drop down later on when tunnels are created under it.

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's exactly it! Unless you are only putting an 1" of sand in, the rock will still go to the glass with that depth.

After flooding my neighbors basement, I'm now overly worried that my tank will not be able to hold 55lbs of live rock. (1lb for every gallon)

Anyones tank ever break?

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mantis32 said:
After flooding my neighbors basement, I'm now overly worried that my tank will not be able to hold 55lbs of live rock. (1lb for every gallon)

Anyones tank ever break?

We cure rock in a 55g tank. It's not uncommon for us to have anywhere from 100 to 125 lbs (or more) of rock in it. It's never been a problem.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You'll probably want a variety of rock type for a variety of purposes within the tank. Some flat pieces, some larger pieces, some very airy/holey (wow that word looks weird) rocks, branches, caves, etc. You're most likely to achieve that with a mix of rock types.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Danny I got your PM & shot you back one! Try logging out/in again from the new home page. That should fix things for you.