• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand Sifting Starfish

So the more research I am doing on these guys, the more I think it may have been a bad purchase. I love the idea of keeping the sand bed clean with the CUC. But my tank is only a couple months old and I’m guessing it’s going to starve. Wanted some second opinions before I decide what to do with him.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Feed him.

You are right, most starfish starve because folks think they can live off the detritus, algae and scraps in their tanks. They also think that they are algae eaters....most are not...they are meat eaters.

My recommendation is to buy a bunch of clams and freeze them. When you're ready to feed, open up a clam and cut off a chunk and put it into tank water to thaw. Once thawed, feed the starfish. It will "smell" the clam and come to the forceps holding the clam piece. Do this every couple of days and the starfish will live and be happy.

The more I’m reading up on this, the more I think it was a mistake to purchase with such a new tank. I will buy some clams and keep it as healthy as I can. However, if anyone is interested in it, shoot me a note.