• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sand

Where can I purchase sand for my tank its 265 so I need a lot and dont want to buy 40 lbs. bags from LFS rather buy it in bigger bulk. And how much sand should I add to my tank. I figure on getting just plan sand Non silica based (but dont know where to get it) And adding some live sand to cut costs. Bobb

Sort of in between. Drs Fosters has great shipping on sand, I went with 3 to 1 base and live sand. Shipping for 160 lbs was less then 20 bucks plus I ordered some other stuff. Shipping from anyone else is just out of hand. I just didn't think the risk reward for any other sand was worth it, after some advice from folks here.

wow great to hear on the foster/smith shipping.. Lemme find that article on RC about sand.. they recommend a sand you can get from the hardware store that is free of silica

Drs Fosters is cheaper the PA unless they will ship it for our group buy.

I can tell you though that the little bit more that you might spend buying caribsea vs some other sand is well worth not having to worry about what "might" go wrong.

I wouldn't use any play sand for sand box's, company's are adding anti bacterial and fungicide, amongst other chemicals to sand do to the health risk to children. There is no way to test for these, the only way you'll know is when your tank dies for no reason. I personally wouldn't chance it. JM2C

JRWOHLER said:
Drs Fosters is cheaper the PA unless they will ship it for our group buy.

I can tell you though that the little bit more that you might spend buying caribsea vs some other sand is well worth not having to worry about what "might" go wrong.

I agree.. and for reference 6 bags of caribsea 40lbs.. is 209 and change.. shipping is a lousy 16bucks. Standard (Within 7 Business Days) $15.99 .

grand total for 240lbs of sand. Total Amount: $225.93, heck for A bag at the LFS it's $27 for 20lbs