• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sanjay joshi "corals need more full spectrum light" aka white light

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
hey all. so I just finished watching the video of reefbum interviewing Sanjay Joshi. for those who don't know, Sanjay is one of the OGs who had his own clowns named after him before all of these designer clowns came around. he has a tank where the corals just growwwwwwww. he is very well known in the reefing community. anyway, he said that if you want corals to grow faster, you need full spectrum, which means more white light. lots of articles nowadays say to run more blue. I'm currently running about 10% cool whites and 6% whites on the xr30s. I'm going to try increasing it by 5% every week, along with the intensity and see how my corals react. I'll post my observations on here.

eholceker

NJRC Member
hey all. so I just finished watching the video of reefbum interviewing Sanjay Joshi. for those who don't know, Sanjay is one of the OGs who had his own clowns named after him before all of these designer clowns came around. he has a tank where the corals just growwwwwwww. he is very well known in the reefing community. anyway, he said that if you want corals to grow faster, you need full spectrum, which means more white light. lots of articles nowadays say to run more blue. I'm currently running about 10% cool whites and 6% whites on the xr30s. I'm going to try increasing it by 5% every week, along with the intensity and see how my corals react. I'll post my observations on here.

Push those whites. Everyone seemed to jump on the AB program, blue to white ratio is 4 to 1. I have always liked the 2 to 1 look. It's more of a 10k to 12k with actinic look.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Push those whites. Everyone seemed to jump on the AB program, blue to white ratio is 4 to 1. I have always liked the 2 to 1 look. It's more of a 10k to 12k with actinic look.
yea that's why I got the xr30 pro and not the blue. I like the 14k metal halide radiums look more, but I gotta do it slowly to avoid light shock.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I run a full spectrum during the day and blues during the night. I just like the way it looks. Full spectrum looks natural to me. I run kessil and turning off 1/2 the Chanel’s doesn’t make sense to me.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Do those lights have an acclimation mode like the AI's?
yea, I used it when I switched from the red sea. now I'm just doing it manually because most are already used to the intensity I acclimated to.

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I run a full spectrum during the day and blues during the night. I just like the way it looks. Full spectrum looks natural to me. I run kessil and turning off 1/2 the Chanel’s doesn’t make sense to me.
what percent are you running your kessils ?

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I run my AP700 at full spectrum and 100% at 12 noon.
They stay that way until 4pm then they start dialing down in intensity and making the tank more blue.
I also run red and green at 20%

BRS tells you to run it closer to deep blue. I don’t like that strong blue light. I run the same program on the kessil 360x. I also only use ati coral + t5 bulbs for the aquatic life fixture and I run them from 11-4pm. The coral + is a full spectrum t5 bulb with some blue. I find that this bulb matches what I see in the ocean.
My par goes up a lot when I run my lights at full spectrum.
Corals and fish like it as well.

Attachments

• 27A65E5F-E31E-483B-B36D-7AEFEE754A06.png
    27A65E5F-E31E-483B-B36D-7AEFEE754A06.png
    979.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Reactions: DEL