• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Saving the World's Reefs

Hey NJ Reefers!

How are we "Saving the world's reefs, One living room at a time?"

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I couldn't find anything. And the answer often changes with new technology.

Thanks for your help everyone! This site's been very useful.
-Avesh

I often wondered this myself. I would think that with so many of us reefers out there we could come up with some ideas that really could have an impact on the worlds reefs. Propagation is a good start but we could do more. If we are willing to pay for $100 pieces of coral we should be able to invest some time to help. Any thoughts?

We have been active participants in the Adventure Aquariums World Oceans Day. If you check their website you can read all about it. We spoke to families and children about responsible reefkeeping and fragging and breeding.

It is attending by over 400 children in the camden philly area. We also got legislatures to sponsor legislation supporting worlds oceans day which supports the saving of our marine ecosystems.

As of right now im looking into LED lighting to avvoid waste power consumption and hazardous waste from bulbs.

Speaking of which one of our sponsors collects MH bulbs for recycling and also is working on t-5s

Someone else might know some other stuff but thats all i got.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just by helping people learn how to properly care for their reef tank raises awareness of the reef and live coral for everyone who sees and enjoy that tank.

rodclement

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How about hosting MACNA this year? An event were most of the speakers and workshops where focused on conservation, breeding, propagating...

And promoting education through shared experiences via an open forum?

Someone with more experience in the Club can share more...I certainly was not aware of many things regarding conservation of our reefs untill I joined this Club! An open call to members to come out with new ideas is always good! :)

Rod

ReeferNets said:
We have been active participants in the Adventure Aquariums World Oceans Day. If you check their website you can read all about it. We spoke to families and children about responsible reefkeeping and fragging and breeding.

It is attending by over 400 children in the camden philly area. We also got legislatures to sponsor legislation supporting worlds oceans day which supports the saving of our marine ecosystems.

As of right now im looking into LED lighting to avvoid waste power consumption and hazardous waste from bulbs.

Speaking of which one of our sponsors collects MH bulbs for recycling and also is working on t-5s

Someone else might know some other stuff but thats all i got.

Wow, the World Oceans Day sounds awesome. I'll definitely attend next year!

And yeah, I think I feel the worst about my tank's electricity usage.. only a 29g, and there's still a noticeable upward shift in my house's power usage.

rodclement said:
How about hosting MACNA this year? An event were most of the speakers and workshops where focused on conservation, breeding, propagating...

And promoting education through shared experiences via an open forum?

Someone with more experience in the Club can share more...I certainly was not aware of many things regarding conservation of our reefs untill I joined this Club! An open call to members to come out with new ideas is always good! :)

Rod

I really wish I could have attended MACNA. Some of the reef rebuilding programs going on right now are really mind-blowing, and the programs that reintroduce frags into dead reefs are (as far as I know) fairly successful.

Active awareness goes a long way as well.

I make it a point everytime I go into my LFS to discuss with whomever I can my desire for aquacultured vs wild collected corals and fish. I also make it a point to mention I'm even willing to pay a bit more, as I know the price tags can generally be higher.

Lets face it, they are a business, and good business people focus on supply and demand. If they see enough demand for something, it will peek their interest in developing a means to supply it.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In addition to all that has been mentioned already (a pretty good list) we have worked to raise awareness with store keepers specifically regarding the bangaii cardinalfish, one that our industry can either save or send to the archives of extinction.