• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Screen

Salted

NJRC Member
Since I've had a zebra barred dartfish and a firefish both make the extra effort it took to launch themselves through my 1/2" eggcrate top I need some mesh. Anyone have a piece 16"x22" they'd part with cheap or free? Tia.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Actually been thinking about this myself- I have a pink goby coming- heard they're jumpers and it's going in a 30l with a hood. this time of year with the temps the way they are, I can't leave the front cover on because of heat, so I'm thinking about a cover or a screen to keep the guy in the tank

Salted

NJRC Member
Actually been thinking about this myself- I have a pink goby coming- heard they're jumpers and it's going in a 30l with a hood. this time of year with the temps the way they are, I can't leave the front cover on because of heat, so I'm thinking about a cover or a screen to keep the guy in the tank
I bought this ; Plaskolite 4 ft. x 2 ft. Suspended Egg Crate Light Ceiling Panel-1199233A - The Home Depot. I have a glass cover on one side and this on the other. As I said in my op, a determined to carpet surf fish can still make it through, but with the addition of the screen it'd be a pretty cost effective option.

DYIguy

NJRC Member
I have some eggcrate, find it interferes with the light when using on top- my canopy/ light is good on all sides but the front- where I'll most likely do a screen for the summer

Salted

NJRC Member
I have some eggcrate, find it interferes with the light when using on top- my canopy/ light is good on all sides but the front- where I'll most likely do a screen for the summer
Ya know, I was thinking the light looks a little different on the egg crate side. What if we did this? Cut out windows where the cardboard is in the pic, then cover the whole thing with screen. This would leave leave the egg crate in a + pattern to support the screen yet maybe interfere with the light less.

Attachments

• D13FE104-FE18-4195-A19D-EEC805D2B4D1.jpeg
    D13FE104-FE18-4195-A19D-EEC805D2B4D1.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2

DYIguy

NJRC Member
Just got my fish orders today that included a pink spot goby- read that they are jumpers- what did the sucker do? tried to jump out in the first few minutes. I have a temporary 'screen' over the top for today. I did make an observation though- fish don't jump out in the center/ middle of the tank- if they jump there they end up back in the water- it's the edges to worry about. My plan is cut eggcrate to fit the top of the tank with only 2 inches all around the outside edge, leaving the middle/ center open- so not to interfere with the lighting- then cover it with screen- I have a hood which is closed on 3 sides ( 4 if I want ) but it's summer and I don't want to overheat the tank- so I'll also add screen to the front side in case it's an Olympic long jumper