• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Scuba-certified

Does anyone know where I can get Scuba-certified in central NJ? I would like to do the "Epcot DiveQuest at The Seas" when we go to MACNA in Florida this year.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Here's a list of NJ dive shops. Find a couple that are in your area and make some calls as to course fees and schedules. When asking them about the fees, be sure to find out everything that is included in the cost and what will need to be paid for extra.

http://www.scubanj.org/NJshoplist.html

ricwilli said:
Does anyone know where I can get Scuba-certified in central NJ? I would like to do the "Epcot DiveQuest at The Seas" when we go to MACNA in Florida this year.

Where you from in Central Jersey??

OH, one more thing. I have a very hard time floating in water. Is this going to cause a problem with me trying to scuba dive? If I stop swimming (which I can't do that well), I sink like a rock.

ricwilli said:
OH, one more thing. I have a very hard time floating in water. Is this going to cause a problem with me trying to scuba dive? If I stop swimming (which I can't do that well), I sink like a rock.

Not at all!! That is actually a GOOD thing!!

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It will definitely play a role in your buoyancy when diving, but mainly it will mean you will require less weight to become neutrally buoyant. The wetsuit and buoyancy compensator will make you float.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you're unsure about it, contact one of the dive shops and schedule yourself for a Discover Scuba session. They will go over the basics with you and then get you in the water. If you like it and feel comfortable go for your certification. Discover Scuba is a great way for people to try it without having the cost of paying for the full course.

panmanmatt said:
If you're unsure about it, contact one of the dive shops and schedule yourself for a Discover Scuba session. They will go over the basics with you and then get you in the water. If you like it and feel comfortable go for your certification. Discover Scuba is a great way for people to try it without having the cost of paying for the full course.

+1...Thats what I did first!

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Richie,

I would recommend using The Scuba Connection on Route 206 in Hillsborough, NJ for your certification. Talk to me BEFORE you commit to buying any equipment through them though, I might be able to save you a couple of $$$$s. You will need to tread water for a minimum 10 minutes as part of your Open Water Certification. If that poses a problem, I can get you touch with folks that might be able to help.

Dan

danthemanj said:
Richie,

I would recommend using The Scuba Connection on Route 206 in Hillsborough, NJ for your certification. Talk to me BEFORE you commit to buying any equipment through them though, I might be able to save you a couple of $$$$s. You will need to tread water for a minimum 10 minutes as part of your Open Water Certification. If that poses a problem, I can get you touch with folks that might be able to help.

Dan

Thanks Dan. We'll be in touch.

JRWOHLER said:
Is your wife doing it also? Someplaces will give you a deal for both, and it is a lot of fun to do together.

UUUMMMMMM. She still doesn't know I'm planning this. I might tell her tonight or when I'm ready to take the course. lol

I am cerified too check out Blue Water Divers in paramus, NJ They have a pool there to get a feel and pretty shure its free (let your wife try it out) to try it out and classes are fast its a weekend in Dutch Springs Bethleham, PA and its a great time with great people!