• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

scuba diving

OK loged back on. What days??? give me a few min I am downloading a map i have some realy productive spots. time and tide is not that important in some spots. the beach that you talk about is OK but i have better areas. link to tides in shark R to start. i am in to this.
Greg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Cool Greg. Right now we're looking at the 13th of August. I'm pretty flexible about the time and location (not too early, though!)

You guys work out the location and I'll be there - retro gear and all!

Weather link::http://wwwa.accuweather.com/forecast-hourly.asp?zipcode=07719&partner=accuweather&whend=&whent=
tide, waether, gen info link: http://www.sharkrivernj.com/frames_page.htm

normal_scan.jpg

one of the best spots is north channel train bridge, deepest part of the river, 24 ft deep, the area that is most like a Reef, there is a dock with a ladder that is in still water that is perfict to dive from, located on SR yatch club property where a have one of my boats. a second spot is the area off the main channel called the Belmar Basin on the map. its off the main channel, NO CURRENT, few boats, divers can launch from my 21 ft boat at the mouth, like diving in a pond!!

for collecting a SLURP GUN is best. hand nets can be used but is much harder. at night, a spot light blinds the trops a they can be hand netted.

If you want to dive the back bay, the area off the tennis courts is best, water dept avg 9 foot but has 1 area at 12 foot, use my boat, it has a swimmers platform to climb in and out, incomming tide is best for clear water

I would recomend a day trip first so you will be familer with the areas.

i also have the keys to the main marenas private bathrooms with showers, heads changing rooms ect. very clean.

thumb_Spotfin.jpg

Greg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hi Greg, all good info. Thanks for volunteering the use of your boats, that's really cool. My only concern with doing a boat dive is it may limit the number of people who want to participate. A number of people have said that they'd like to come and be part of the action as either divers, ground support, moral support, beer support(!), whatever. I wouldn't want to have to limit anyone based on the number that could fit on your boat.

Based on that, I'm certainly interested in any suggestions you and eholceker have for the best ground based location.

Thanks again for stepping up and offering your boats. Also, eholceker, thanks for starting this thread. It's a great idea and really seems to be gaining some momentum!

Concept3 hard to post pics with the size limits.. mako 171lb took 3rd in the mako frenzy turn.

eholceker, JohnS_323, i understand,, I have sugestion!!! before the dive pick a time that you can come down to SR and I can show you the options of where to go and then you guys make the call on where to set it up at. anytime before dark is good, i make my own schedule for work.

greg

eholceker

NJRC Member
Greg,
I actually live in Belmar and am there all weekend. I have a summer house on 14th ave, so any time on the weekend is good. i am down to go anywhere as long as there is no time restrictions or big shark, haha.

eholceker

NJRC Member
another thing that also needs to be taken into account is the depth of the dive. Since we will be having to go up and down numerous times I am not sure how safe it is to be consistantly doing this. Since the back bay is only 15 ft tops that shouldnt be a problem. 25ft plus I am unsure as to when nitrogen poisoning has to be considered?

Checked the river a 9pm, water was clear, 10ft vis or better, high tide, lots of crabs, shrimp, northern barracudas. plankton bloom. no trops, but high is not the time to look from shore.
Greg

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm gonna be out of town next weekend so if you guys want to get together and pick a spot that would be great. Otherwise, maybe we can hook up one week night between now and the 13th.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Just wanted to thank you guys for going out of you're way to give us the best dive possible. Thanks. Can you rent a slurp gun, or do I have to buy one? Out of all my gear I used to have, I only found my weight belt and a bottle of sea drops. Guess I'm doing my Xmas shopping early this year.

I'd love to come up and join you guys for some jersey diving, as I've never been.
I have over 120 dives in warmer waters and have most of the gear I'll need.
Is there a close shop to where you are thinking of heading where I could pickup a filled tank and some weights?
A slurp-gun was mentioned, any rental options for one?

Thanks for the opportunity to dive off the jersey coast, I've just never gotten around to doing it yet so this would be great. Going to tag along the thread and let you guys pick the spot, logistics, times, etc and i'll probably be able to adjust schedule on the 13th and make the trip up.
-Rob