• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sea Hare experience

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
A few weeks back I adopted a sea hare from Madreefer. It was doing quite well eating both nori and GHA. I'm watching it go to town on some rocks and nori on Sunday night around 9-10pm and Monday morning at 7 it's dead, this is after weeks of no problems. No water change, no chemicals added, all was exactly the same as it had been for a while.
I recall a few years back I had one and a similar thing happened.
What gives? Do they need some kind of long term supplement, or does this just happen with them?

They need a psychotic amount of algae to stay alive. Mine also loved detritus in the sand , but unless you have visible algae, they may not have enough algae to live.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Seems OK, there was still algae in the tank along with nori (he did clear about 90% of the GHA). 10pm he was going strong. 6:30-7am he was on the bottom. Gave him till 8 to see if he was just acting, but no dice. Was very odd.