• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

seahorse idea

Not really looking to do anything all that soon, just throwing the idea around.

But here is my set up currently:

I have a 20L overflowed to a 15g sump (soon to be a 20H with refug) i just added a skimmer (ps75 bought from tfj ;D )

Now what I was thinking was tanking the 15 to be replaced, or a new tank.. and placing it next to the 20 and share the water. Is this a good idea, or should the sea horses have their own system? If this is a good idea, whats the best way to plumb this tank? and what else should I take into consideration?

Any links with info would be great.

I still have much info to research on seahorses, but eventually, I'd love to keep some. Thanks in advance

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Seahorses typically do not do well long term in a reef environment. They really should be on a dedicated system for themselves.

I would reccomend a minimum of a 29 gallon tank, although a 20xh will work if space is limited. Ideally seahorses like a taller tank( 3-5x their height) as opposed to a longer tank. I would reccomend either erectus or kuda as a good beginner species. Yes there are more than 1 species of seahorse and no black, yellow, orange or red are species. Actualy there are currently 32 known species of which about 10 or so are available to the hobby.

Make sure you buy true captive bred specimens. I can put in contact with some well known breeders if you'd like.

If you want to learn more about these wonderful creatures and their needs, check out Seahorse.org. Unfortunately the site is down right now due to we overloaded our bandwidth but hopefully will be back online tonight or early tomorrow.

MC I have been keeping seahorse for over 2 years now and am more than willing to share any info I can with you. I am currently attempting to raise SH fry and have gotten to 4 weeks so far and still going. Breeding them is easy, but raising the fry is very difficult.

Excellent, thanks for the response. i'll be sure to check out the web site and start gathering information. It won't be for some time that I try seahorses, but I'm interested in eventually giving it a shot. So all my research starts now :)

I guess I'll do an independant system, not a big deal, I just figured more water volume over all would make it easier.

Thanks again, and when i'm ready, I'll keep you posted on my progress.

I'm starting to think more and more about this and I'm researching on seahorse.org. I don't see anything on filtration recommendations and all of that. Am I overlooking it?

I was looking at dwarf seahorses, and non-dwarfs, can you recommend what would be easier to care for? I was looking at taller hex tanks and square tanks, I think I like the taller square ones better, but I'll go for whatever is cheaper :) If anyone has any available they want to sell, I'm interested, heh.

Any books you would recommend on the care for seahorses?

Thanks.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Glad are you are researchingt this idea. As far as filtration, that is a matter of personal preference. Just keep in mind to shoot for a 3-5x turnover rate.

As far a species go, I would stay away from dwarfs as a first seahorse. They require constant hatching of live brine shrimp as they don't regularly take frozen foods. Also the high feeding density and small water volume are hell to keep stable.

I would go with either erectus or kuda as a first seahorse. Both are readily available CB and are hardy as far as seahorses go. Minimum tank size would be a 29 in my opinion, but i prefer the 37 myself. Same footprint just a few more inches in height. You could easily keep 2 pair in a tank that size.

Unfortunately, there aren't really any up to date books on keeping seahorses. One of the better ones to get would be Rudie Kuiter's "Seahorses, Pipefish and their Relatives". There is a new book in the works by a well know author in this hobby but to date it's not ready.

I am just down the road in Waretown if you ever want to stop by and check things out with my set ups just drop me a PM or something. I am usually available most weekends.

When you are ready to actually get the horses let me know and I can put you in contact with a couple breeders I know.

Thanks so much! That would be excellent, I'm gonna research the most cost-effective filtration, and I'll see how much I can get that size tank for. I'd love to stop by and check out your tanks, that would help me a lot with ideas. I've read that I can go without a skimmer, and I would like to not use a sump. If a fuge is necassary for some reason, I'll mod an aquaclear. But I think to keep things simple and quite, I'd prefer to use an aquaclear and/or a canister filter, but I have to look into these options, I'm just starting all my research for seahorses. I'll def go with the kuda or erectus.

Maybe next weekend if you're available I can swing by and chat with you and check out your tanks. I appreciate all of your help. I'll be in touch. Thanks.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Not problem. I'm glad i can help out.

Next weekend should be fine, just drop me a PM and we can make the arrangements.

Personally, I use canisters on all my seahorse tanks. I like the neat look of them.