• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

sealant

C

concept3

greg, you can get the larger caulk gun type silicone tubes at HD. just make sure it says 100% silicone, not the mildew resistant type

Merv Rubiano said:
greg, you can get the larger caulk gun type silicone tubes at HD. just make sure it says 100% silicone, not the mildew resistant type

Thanks Merv. Any idea who makes it? I tried HD last week and couldn't find any that were aquarium-safe.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Greg, I have 3 tubes of Silicone I from Lowes that I planned on using for an overflow box. I've since changed my mind and have no immediate use for them. You're welcome to them if you want.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Yeah, both Silicone I and II have that statement on them. Silicone II has some sort of mold retardant that can't be used in an aquarium. Silicone I is pure silicone and is OK for aquarium use. I think they just put that disclaimer on it so they can sell there other stuff for a higher price.

Do what you're comfortable with, but I can tell you that I have used Silicone I in several applications and was referred to it by others who have too. It's up to you, though.

BTW, can they make that fine print any harder to read? It's like 2pt font and blurry!