• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sedivec's 3 gallon Picotope

Hello all! New member here! Posting my tank for comments and suggestions.

This is my first SW and reef tank

Equipment

3 Gallon JBJ Picotope
Current USA Satellite 2x18w
AquaClear 70 filter with fuge mod + stock Picotope light
Stealth 25w heater
5 lb. live rock
5 lb. live sand

7-23
7-23.png

7-24
7-24.png

7-25
7-25.png

7-26
7-26.png

8-20
8-20.png

9-27
9-27.png

11-10
2.png

3.png

4.png

1.png

5.png

6.png

7.png

8.png

9.png

10.png

11.png

12.png

13.png

14.png

15.png

16.png

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Welcome to NJRC, we're glad you found us! The tank looks great! My only word on caution is to keep an eye on the Stealth heater. I've had a lot of them start leaking stray voltage into my system. IME, they last about a year or so before it starts.

Oh wow, that is one cute Pico! Love how you designed and scaped it. Love the inhabitants even more. Really, really pretty! :)

And WELCOME to NJRC! ;D

Thanks for the positive comments!

I started the tank on 7-24-08. I've been thinking about a fish or a shrimp but I'm undecided, I saw a really small yellow goby that the LFS told me stays small, but I'll have to get a name and research it beforehand. I was also debating sexy shrimp or pistol shrimp, not sure yet. I suspect I might already have a hitch hiker pistol or mantis already. I've only got a glimpse twice and it's really fast, not even a good enough look to see exactly what it looks like except that it's white/clear. I have heard what I suspect is the clicking noise they're supposed to make, I'm still trying to determine if it's noise from the tank or filter.

I haven't had a problem with the stealth heater but I'll keep an eye on it, we also have a FW tank with a stealth heater, that one's been in there for quite some time, no noticeable problems as of yet, I'm assuming the only noticeable problem will be dead fish?

What do you guys (and gals) think about possibly switching to a 70 watt MH light such as the 16.5" Sunpod or Viper? Will the corals not look as good because of no actinic lighting?

A shrimp goby might pair up with a pistol shrimp if that is what you have. Lots of the shimp gobys stay small.