• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sell a 75 Gallon tank and Buy a new RR 75 gallon or have it drilled?

Hi Everyone,

I just brought a used 75 gallon tank setup from one of my friends, he had it setup as a saltwater tank, with a hang in the tank overflow box, I really don't like the overflow box b/c of the plumbing and the fact it can't lose suction. Is it easier to sell the tank and just buy a RR tank, or should I get it drilled? And if I did get it drilled, where can I buy the overflow "thingy", and how hard is it to setup in the tank?

Thanks.

I would have it drilled and have the overflow external. You get more room inside the tank. If I'm not mistaken, I believe reefer steve68 drills tanks. He can also build you the external box. I hope that is the guy as I am thinking of drilling my 180 for a closed loop and I would like someone who is experience to drill it. Send him a pm to see if he does it.

AGA sells overflow kits.

Check out Aquatic Obsessions, Allquatics, Pet Shanty or Absolutely Fish one of them should have it.

Doug

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Before you drill it, do you know if the glass is tempered? Better to be safe than sorry! :)

ive been drilling tanks for over a year now and i have only broken one. it was a 55 gallon. if you can get a good deal on a reef ready tank than i would suggest buying it but do not spend the money on an overflow kit if you have the tank drilled. the kit is minimum $50. you can get two bulkheads, two combination tees and 2 nipples for about half that. one thing to consider is the cost of having it drilled as you will need two holes. one drain and one return, unless you use a sea swirl or other over the back device as a return. if you buy a reef ready tank factor in the cost of the overflow kit. an advantage to the reef ready tank is that it skims the water from the top evenly. i just bought a new reef ready 55 gallon tank for 150 and could have easily gotten a used one for 50 and drilled it myself.

i just drilled a 29 gallon last week, first one ever it was very easy. bought the drill bit from ebay for $9 including shipping. just drill it...lol