• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

setting up 32biocube and how to transport it later on?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys, so ive decided i wanted to start up my 32 biocube but im moving in about 7-10 months basically want to run it dry for the time being have the tank setting in and basically seed the rock and sand general idea was

buy dry rock online setup a rockscape glue all the rock together power wash it
buy live sand fill the tank up with the sand place the rock scape into position fill the tank up with water and the perfect salinity
install a heater and pump let the tank run for the time being maybe setup some chaeto start getting some cocopods towards the end
this should prepare the tank for corals and fish once its time i would say and transfer what what ever i have left from my nano into it once i get the tank into the new house..

now my question is how to transport this tank once im ready to move i was thinking of taking few 5 gallon buckets drain the water to about 20% to have the sand bed covered lift the cube with the bottom of the stand up place into SUV and should be good? or will it shatter the tank and create a big a$$ headache lol any advice is good advice

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
why wouldn't you just empty the tank completely? You're going to drive with a tank that has water in it and have it slosh around in your car every stop, start and turn?

etmanning1

NJRC Member
Zoas Grow Out Winner
uhhhh I actually did just that today. I picked up a new fluval spec V that was established. In order to move it i just drained the water to the top of the rocks, bagged up the fish, and threw the entire tank with water in the back of my car. I made the 2 hour drive losing only about a half gallon or so of water. Moving a 32G with even like 20% of the water in it will be extremely heavy though. Definitely easier with the 5G that I did.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
uhhhh I actually did just that today. I picked up a new fluval spec V that was established. In order to move it i just drained the water to the top of the rocks, bagged up the fish, and threw the entire tank with water in the back of my car. I made the 2 hour drive losing only about a half gallon or so of water. Moving a 32G with even like 20% of the water in it will be extremely heavy though. Definitely easier with the 5G that I did.
why wouldn't you just empty the tank completely? You're going to drive with a tank that has water in it and have it slosh around in your car every stop, start and turn?
well i mean you would empty the tank completely and remove the rocks put them in a tub maybe? seal the buckets of water with lids drive it to the new house and unload everything?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
this wont way it would kill the biofilter made in the tank? was thinking that the rock should be submerged to keep it alive no?

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If anything, yes you can remove the rocks and place them into a bucket with water. The same with sponges and whatever other media you may have.

You could also leave a thin layer of water in the tank for the sand to stay wet. It may make a mess though with the back n forth of the car but should be ok.

It may be easier to hold off till you move this way the tank can be in place and cycling while you finish moving in....but that's me.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
If anything, yes you can remove the rocks and place them into a bucket with water. The same with sponges and whatever other media you may have.

You could also leave a thin layer of water in the tank for the sand to stay wet. It may make a mess though with the back n forth of the car but should be ok.

It may be easier to hold off till you move this way the tank can be in place and cycling while you finish moving in....but that's me.
well the general idea was to basically seed the tank without bringing in any live rock due to the fact my last few experiences sucked with hitch hikers so i was thinking of basically cooking the rock structure but instead of doing it in a tub i was just gonna run the tank basically dry haha and see how it ends up looking ( the girlfriend is gonna end my life one way or another haha )

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
7-10 months? I would just set up and run now, breakdown and transport like @trio91 said when it's time. It's 32 gallons, the workload of that will be small.
yah i mean when ima be moving i was just thinking of taking the whole rock scape out throwing it into a tub side ways or something have some water in it put a lid over the tub and transport it

my only fear is if the tank has sand bed lets say 30-40lb and i leave some water in it will it shatter the bottom? or should i remove it sitting on the stand just remove the legs of the stand and lift the whole thing