• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Setting up a sump/ need help with return pump

Im setting up a sump for my 20 gal.  I am using a 10 gal tank and a cpr cs50 rated as a 300 gal/hr overflow
What return pump should I use?

You could use anything that pumps up to 300 gph at about a six foot head.

However,there are some other considerations. You may want the pump to drive other items, such as flow through a refugium, or some reactor such as a phosban reactor.

Always buy top quality. It's least expensive long term. For an internal pump, mounted inside the sump, I'd use something like an Eheim 1250. A Supreme Mag 3 or 5 would be my second choice, but I don't think they come close to the Eheim in quality. I'm not a big fan of Tamm, Rio, Seio, or Sen pumps, far too many problems for such a critical operation, but they might be ok for circulation.

For a pump mounted outside the sump, my first choice would be Iwaki, but there are several other good pump out there. However external pumps tend to push a lot more water and may overdrive your system, causing a flood. In other words, they can drain you sump, and fill the tank faster than the overflow can deal with it.

Be very careful with the CPR overflows. They tend to fail and cause floods. Always use them with an AquaLifter pump to keep them from trapping bubbles and breaking the siphon action.

This may sound like a dumb question - but why are you setting up a sump on a 20 gallon? I was thinking about all those nanos that are like 24gallon aquapods and I don't recall any of them setting up a sump with it. Couldn't you use the space that the HOB overflow would be and place a hob skimmer there instead?

wait - you said you have a cpr cs50 - isn't that an HOB overflow? Well anyway if an hob skimmer messes around with your side viewing then perhaps that isn't the answer.

With regards to the return pump - davek pretty much summed it up. Good luck!

I am putting the overflow in the corner that is hidden
My skimmer sticks out the top quite a ways and i would like that out of view