• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shipping corals from Oversea?

Anyone ever went on vacation and ships back some corals for themselves. I’m talking about oversea (OUT OF US...hmmmm Japan to be more specific, or any other places not in US). What are the process that you have to go through? And did the corals you ship to yourself make it? I might attempt to do this but I am not sure if this is even possible. A lucky member will be receiving the order if that’s the case and of course I’ll have to hook them up with a something right? Lolz…….. Any inputs???

Thanks,

-Sam

please send entire order to: ... lol

im not sure but i would think theres some kind of procedure because of it being living.

interested in finding out, maybe ill take a trip to an island.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
My fiancee and I have talked about this before. You have to check with the country for their import/export provisions. Some countries won't let you send livestock out of the country. If they do, you probably have to look into a permit of some sort to even collect the livestock. Shipping is probably easier but expensive. TSA will probably think an anemome is a deadly weapon and not allow it on the plane.

onefish2fish said:
please send entire order to: ... lol

im not sure but i would think theres some kind of procedure because of it being living.

interested in finding out, maybe ill take a trip to an island.

Yup, probably, what's what i want to find out. But i think i'll forget about the idea...lolz

mnat said:
My fiancee and I have talked about this before. You have to check with the country for their import/export provisions. Some countries won't let you send livestock out of the country. If they do, you probably have to look into a permit of some sort to even collect the livestock. Shipping is probably easier but expensive. TSA will probably think an anemome is a deadly weapon and not allow it on the plane.

I was thinking of getting stuff from their local LFS and ship it back here.....but i think customs are probably complicated....so i am probably going to forgo the idea. Especially in a foreign country where you don't speak their language.

samksy said:
I was thinking of getting stuff from their local LFS and ship it back here.....but i think customs are probably complicated....so i am probably going to forgo the idea. Especially in a foreign country where you don't speak their language.

If it's cheap enough from the LFS, just send it overseas express mail or whatnot and simply hope that the package is not opened in customs.

I've sent hundreds of packages (mainly vinyl records and equipment) and I always send it out and mark it as a gift (so they don't have to pay customs taxes). Never once have I heard the package was opened and I've never had an overseas package sent to me that was opened before, either.

I would do it if you want to risk the shipping money since it might not get there overnight if there is any delay.

Would be illegal, I'm sure, but if you're cool with the possibility of losing the coral because of a one or two day delay (aka if it's cheap enough), I would go for it.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Ah come on. Just bring it home on the plane with you. If they ask, just say it is a sushi-like snack that you’ll be eating on the plane. Crunchy! ;D

I would not try it. it is illegal and you can get yourself in a lot of trouble. I would suggest on talking to maybe local exporters to establish some business ties.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The fiancee neglected to mention that plenty of species are protected; if you try and ship them to the US or bring them in yourself, without a permit, you could end up being fined, or worse, if the species is protected abroad, in jail in your vacation destination. If the species you are interested in is regulated by CITIES (convention on international trade in endangered species) (which despite the name goes well beyond endangered species), and Japan is a CITIES signatory, you are in serious doo doo. If you want to do this, check out http://www.cites.org/. From my brief look, it did not appear that there are any export quotas for Japan for marine life for 2009, but there is a very long list of protected corals. See http://www.cites.org/eng/resources/species.html.

I'm sorry to rain on your parade, I looked into collecting corals and fish on when Mike and I go on our honeymoon, but there were just too many hoops to jump through.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I would just stop at their LFS and ask them would they ship to the USA.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think i'll forgo the thought....but if i do find a LFS i will certainly check with them and let them do the shipping if it's possible. But communicating with them would be a problem for sure....lolz.

thanks all for the info. I think i want to enjoy my vacation instead of asking for trouble.