• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

shortages explain this to me..

hcker99

Sponsor
Gold Sponsor
Maybe this is the naturally hobby culling that is needed for prices to stabilize. In the stock market world, this is called a market correction. When you have too many buyers..the stock market (prices) go up. When people start heading for the doors and you don't have enough buyers,..the stock market (prices) go down. Maybe we as a hobby need this. Many of the hobby things we are buying are in a pricing bubble...maybe a correction is needed. If things get expensive enough and people stop buying it..prices will come down as the supply starts going up. Econ 101 baby!! One of the classes I remember a few things from...anyone want me to bust out a quick supply and demand graph?! :)

Problem with this theory is..... it's based on logic LOL. This is one of the few industries that greed over rides logic. Here's just a random example. Prior to the indo shut down a couple years ago a COLONY of dragon soul torch wholesaled for $79 (I miss those days). When Indo shut down demand went crazy because people thought they wouldn't ever be able to get them again. So the price naturally went up. Flash forward to when indo opened back up. Naturally supply and demand would start to self correct...right? When exporters (the guys who sell to the wholesalers) saw what consumers were willing to pay, the price stayed high while supply stayed high. The price has continued to sky rocket while supply never changed.

(Steps off soapbox and pouts while missing $79 colonies)

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
Problem with this theory is..... it's based on logic LOL. This is one of the few industries that greed over rides logic. Here's just a random example. Prior to the indo shut down a couple years ago a COLONY of dragon soul torch wholesaled for $79 (I miss those days). When Indo shut down demand went crazy because people thought they wouldn't ever be able to get them again. So the price naturally went up. Flash forward to when indo opened back up. Naturally supply and demand would start to self correct...right? When exporters (the guys who sell to the wholesalers) saw what consumers were willing to pay, the price stayed high while supply stayed high. The price has continued to sky rocket while supply never changed.

i met a guy that ran his own store in bergen county took me to his whole seller once selling him cleaner shrimp for $12 each and fire shrimp for $18 a piece in store he was selling for $40 cleaner $60 fire... the profit margin was huge and this was 3 years ago wonder what his prices are now..

DEL

Vice President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
because they have to pay the 'influencers'!!!!!!!! hahahaa jp.

Salted

NJRC Member
This is one of the few industries that greed over rides logic.
Disagree that there are only a few industries where greed overrides logic. Have you noticed the car industry lately? Both new and used.
i met a guy that ran his own store in bergen county took me to his whole seller once selling him cleaner shrimp for $12 each and fire shrimp for $18 a piece in store he was selling for $40 cleaner $60 fire... the profit margin was huge and this was 3 years ago wonder what his prices are now..
While the price difference between wholesale and retail might seem high, keep in mind that livestock needs to be maintained, it doesn't go on a shelf. Depending on where I go currently I've seen cleaners $60 & fire $70. Too much for me shrimp don't live all that long.

horseplay

NJRC Member
I will be surprised if the gross margin is less than 50% for fish. Not all fish survive long enough to get sold and then the cost of keeping them. Corals on the other hand is a different story. Lots of corals are way overpriced in any LFS and there is a lot less loss I bet.

The price continues to skyrocket because people continue to be willing to pay the higher prices. ie there is still high demand so pricing goes up. Econ 101 pricing model still holds. It is not until people say they are not willing to pay those prices will prices come down. "The price has continued to sky rocket while supply never changed." Agreed..but the DEMAND has continued to increase thus prices go up.