• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shots of the 90rr (post midnight maruader)

Well, I am on my way to restocking the 90 since the fiasco of the midnight marauder.

Here a couple of shots (excuse the quality, this is my wife's little panasonic lumix canera)

fulltank1.jpg

orangezoa1.jpg

orangezoa2.jpg

yellowzoa1.jpg

pulsing1.jpg

shroom1.jpg

shroom2.jpg

greenzoa1.jpg

Ok, now someone tell me if this is friend or foe. I've actually seen websites selling these things, and this thing popped out of nowhere when I had to restack the left side of the tank after catching the midnight marauder:

curly1.jpg

curly2.jpg

Thanks, Rich! Any idea on the curly q? Friend or foe?

It's front and center if I need to get rid of it. I never saw it before, it must have been under a rock facing the back of the tank. When I had to pull the rocks on the left side to get the gorilla crab out, and restacked them (which we all know its impossible to recreate that which we tear down) it appeared on the top front of that small rock.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I read something once on the curly q's but don't remember the content or location. You may want to poke around on Advanced Aquarist, WetWeb Media, or maybe Reefkeeping Mag. I'm sure someone will chime in that has knowledge on them.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
orangezoa1.jpg

The odd thing is that there are no chromis in the tank. This one only came out when the film was developed . . . "I see dead fish . . . . ."

Looks good Matt. Keep the restocking pics coming.

JohnS_323 said:
orangezoa1.jpg

The odd thing is that there are no chromis in the tank. This one only came out when the film was developed . . . "I see dead fish . . . . ."

Looks good Matt. Keep the restocking pics coming.

LOL! Yeah, I was thinking of calling TAPS! LOL!

The little bugger went zipping by as I took the picture. I put 5 little blue green chromis in the tank, they are like little annoying puppies. I can't get anywhere near the tank without them darting around in front of me, or around my hand looking for food.

Ok, thought I should post some info.

Main display:

90 gallon AGA/RR with overflow kit (thanks Francis! :) )
1 x Hydor Koralia #3
20 gallon long tank/homemade sump with Mag 9.5 return pump (throttled back just a tad)
and refugium with chaeto and god knows whatever else made it in there from RichT's sump! LOL!
Coralife Super Skimmer 125 (after many replacement parts from ESU, it's finally working great!)
1 x phos-reactor running carbon for polishing
1 x phos-reactor running phosban (I want NO MORE HAIR ALGAE! Ugg. Stupid well water.)
Nova Extreme 4x54w T5-HO

The Puffer tank is:

Marineland Eclipse 12
Built in PC light
Small Aquaclear 30 for circulation

Hi Twan, it's an alveopora. I just got it on Saturday morning, so I will have to keep you posted. I know that everything I have read says they are difficult to keep, but I drip acclimated it for about 2 hours. It actually started to open up before I even got it into the tank. Within about an hour of it being in the tank, it looked the way it does in that photo. Now, a couple of days later, it is completely open and coloring up nicely.

I will keep you posted as it progresses.

Some more additions as of last saturday and today. :)

These shots are after the upgrade from the T5s to 2x150 MH HQI with 2x24watt CF actinics. I'm not totally happy with the color of the light. I am probably going to add T5s back onto it for supplement. Also started working on my canopy as well. I am using Ushio 10,000k bulbs. I'm looking for something a little bluer. The cheesy CF bulbs just don't throw enough light to accent the white light of the 10,000ks. So, probably will put at least 2 actinic 54watt T5s in. Debating on whether to add all four T5s, and bring the lighting on in 3 phases instead of two. Actinic first, add T5 10,000ks, cut T5 10,000ks and add MH. Oh well, who knows. I can always install everything, nothing says I have to use it all. :D

Yes, before anyone asks, that is a fan blowing on the Metal Halides to keep them cool. :D I haven't gotten my fans in for the sides of the canopy yet. The back is open, and I have not attached the front door or the tops yet to accomodate the air flow until I get the fans in and get them installed.

Right now, the only things that are attached are the two side panels to the frame.

I also made it a little taller to accomodate removal light panels that I am working on. I lights will not mount directly to the top. The top will "accordian" open with multiple piano hinges so that it opens in panels and will open completely up. The lights will mount to secondary panels inside the canopy that will be removable for bulb changing and tank cleaning.

By making the canopy modular, I am hoping to minimize issues with, oh, I don't know, burning the crap out of my forearm while cleaning the tank! :D

Anyway, on to the shots:

bluezoa1.jpg

bluezoa2.jpg

brain1.jpg

brain2.jpg

brain5.jpg

brain3.jpg

brain4.jpg

newzoa1.jpg

newzoa2.jpg

fts1.jpg

fts2.jpg

fts3.jpg

jazzsam said:
Wow, looks NICE! I like the PICS but the heat those MH put off is one of the main reasons I don't have them.

Yeah, the heat is definitely something I have been worrying about. But, I have been keeping a close eye on the lights the past couple of days as I waited to install them until I had a couple of days off work. With the fan running, I have only seen about a half a degree rise in water temperature. Without the fan running, the water temp rose about 3 degrees, but the lights only ran for about an hour before the ballasts shut themselves off because they got too hot.

I think I will be able to adequately mitigate the heat issue with the right fans and ventilation.