• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Should I be worried about this pineapple sponge?

Its been getting pretty big. Not sure if it can be a danger or even cosmectically be a problem. Was changing water and noticed how much bigger it got. Any suggestions?
IMG_1615.jpeg

Honestly is hard to know if the sponge will even kill the torch, but I had a similar experience when I lost 2 mini colonies (dragon soul/cc21) and they both had those red sponge on the base… ended up losing them both. Although I think may reason was they were touching each other…

One of the ones I have now had some and I sprayed vinegar in the base where it was and now it’s gone
I hope this helps

EZreefin

NJRC Member
I have them grow on my hammer colonies. I'm not sure by the pic, but mine were yellow in color. They never really caused any problems for me. They never grew by the head of the coral for me though, Only the middle of the stalk. I have removed them before with tweezers if I couldn't pull the colony out of the tank. Sometimes they came back and sometimes they didn't. If you get a good hold of them with flat headed tweezers you can pull the whole sponge off in one clump.

I was never stung by them. Some sponges have spores they release when brushed up against or squeezed. I once had black sponges that were in my older tank. Those are no fun to brush up against. You start to feel a burning prickly sensation on your skin. Last for about half an hour or so.