• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Should I Drill?

Hey guys, I was just wondering your opinion on this. I've got a 220g non-drill tank and originally I was going to get it drilled but I was advised against it because of the glass being tempard. But lately I've been hearing that only the bottoms of tanks are tempard. What do you guys think I should do with it, and if I should drill it where can I find a decent price, and how many holes should I put in it?

Often only the bottom is tempered, but sometimes the sides are also. Tempered glass look a little distorted with looked through, but it's tough to tell even them.

I'd only pun in 2 or 3 holes, depending upon the number of overflows you plan to have.

It never hurts to call the manufacturer to confirm the tank design.

it doesn't say who makes it anywhere on it, I got it used from someone last year. I'll see if they know but maybe I'll just look for another overflow and do it that way.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Somewhere on here there is a thread about how to check if glass is tempered. If I remember correctly, you can do it with 2 polarized lenses. I forget exactly what the process is though. Something about putting the 2 lenses together and holding them against the glass. If you can see through the glass, try rotating one of the lenses. If that blocks out the view, then the glass is tempered. If you can still see through the glass after rotating the lense 360*, it's not.

I think that's the process but you may want to do a search on our forum just to verify it.

Two polarizing filters (photographic or polarizing sun glasses or 3D theater glsses -those that are grayish and red/blue) when oriented 90 degrees to each others polarizing plane will completely block the light. To see that, make them parallel, and then rottate one of them. At the point when all of the light is blocked their polarizing planes are 90degrees oriented. If you now place a plain shet of glas in between them, the light should be still blocked. If, however, you put a sheet of tempered glass between them, as you rotate the filters, a black cross shoul be seen through the filters. I would still be very cautious about this anyway, since it is easy to get false negative test here.