• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

SHOULD I TREAT MY SEAHORSE WITH PARASITE CLEAR?

SHOULD I TREAT MY SEAHORSE WITH Tank Buddies Parasite Clear from Jungle Labs?
Tank Buddies Parasite Clear from Jungle Labs
Clears external and internal parasites such as flukes and flagellates. No need to raise the water temperature. Also helps prevent secondary infections and will not harm biological filtration.
Active ingredients: praziquantel; N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon 1]-2,6-difluorobenzamide; metronidazole; acriflavine.

I caught a seahorse in the River about 7-8 weeks ago I believe it is a female Hippocampus erectus --Lined seahorse.
She appears to be healthy and is eating well, and very active I keep her
with a piper fish and two green chromis who also appear healthy.

I wanted to purchase a male but a member of this group told me I should not
breed her with a tank raised male for the female can be a carrier of pathogens
and worms that a tank raised male would not be immune to.

How can I tell if she has anything I should be concerned with?
Should I treat her with medications even if she appears healthy?
If so what medications should I purchase for the seahorse?

abitnutty said:
Clears external and internal parasites such as flukes and flagellates. No need to raise the water temperature. Also helps prevent secondary infections and will not harm biological filtration.
Active ingredients: praziquantel; N-[[(N-Chlorophenyl)amino]carbon 1]-2,6-difluorobenzamide; metronidazole; acriflavine.

I caught a seahorse in the River about 7-8 weeks ago I believe it is a female Hippocampus erectus --Lined seahorse.

I treat mine with Paragon, by aquatronics, A Wide Spectrum Anti-Parasitic and Anti-Bacterial control. Also Isolate during treatment, takes 5 days, during this time I can observe that the horse's is feeding and can introduce it to the foods that I
supplie.

Should I treat the fish even if there are no apparent symptoms of any
parasites?

There are four fish in my tank 20 gallon extra high.
I would like to add one more seahorse and remove the
other fish into another tank I have.

Should I medicate my seahorse before adding another
seahorse to the tank even if there is no apparent symptoms?

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are going to treat for worms and parasites it is best done in a separate system. Even after these procedures are done it is still a huge risk mixing wild and captive seahorses.

Here is the procedure for treating your seahorse. Each medication should be used for 1 week before starting the next one.

To deworm WC Seahorses gut-load the Brine Shrimp with
the medication. Finish one deworming regimen before
moving on to the next.

FLAGYL (deworming) Doseage and Preparation
Instructions
Active Ingredient: Metronidalzole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with
Flagyl to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine
powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Flagyl to one gallon (~4 liters) of water
and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for
one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
mixture for at least 2hrs.
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and
add them to the quarantine tank.
• Observe the Seahorse to be certain it is eating the
adult brine shrimp.

PANACUR (deworming) Doseage and Preparation
Instructions
Active Ingredient: Fenbendazole
Indication: worms and other internal parasites
Panacur to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• Add 2ml (~1/2 tsp) of Panacur to one gallon (~4
liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
adult brine shrimp.

PRAZIPRO (deworming) Doseage and Preparation
Instructions
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Panacur to the Seahorse 1x per week for 3wks.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of PraziPro to one gallon (~4
liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
adult brine shrimp.

Any time bud, If your gonna be up this way on Sat I still owe you from when I was a noob, stop in and perhaps a few zoos or softy's frags for ya. Still have my Cell#?
Sorry for thread Hijack!

Well, as long as the thread is hijacked; Hey Matt how ya doing?

You to Greg! ;D

And getting back to seahorses, they have been tempting me lately. All the parasite stuff and live foods give me concerns. I need to learn more. Maybe a trip to seahorses.org is in order! ;D

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
blange3 said:
Well, as long as the thread is hijacked; Hey Matt how ya doing?

You to Greg! ;D

And getting back to seahorses, they have been tempting me lately. All the parasite stuff and live foods give me concerns. I need to learn more. Maybe a trip to seahorses.org is in order! ;D

I'm doing well Bill. Thanks for asking.

As for the live foods and parasites, they are non-issues when you buy healthy captive bred specimens. They are major issues when dealing with wild caught horses though.

abitnutty said:
abitnutty said:

QUOTE(ann83 @ Aug 28 2009, 12:58 PM) *
How big is she? Her body type looks full grown, but compared to the equipment in the tank, she looks tiny. I ask this partly because in the picture, the way her body meets her tail makes me wonder if you might have a "he" that just hasn't developed yet... but I really can't tell from that far away.

As for medicating. I would not recommend medicating with antibiotics if the seahorse isn't showing symptoms, however, I do recommend that you at least deworm her. You should deworm her regardless of if you plan to put her with other fish or seahorses. As the parasites grow and reproduce, they can cause more and more problems, and migrating parasite larvae can do irreparable damage.

Even after being dewormed, though, she still poses a risk to other seahorses, so I would use caution in mixing her. Make sure that the new horses are from a reputable breeder so that you know that they are truly captive bred and healthy. I'd recommend Seahorse Source or one of the hobbyist breeders in our trading and classifieds forum. Also, do a good long quarantine period. Both before and for a few months after you introduce the new ones to the display, do more frequent water changes, and keep the water temperature low (68*-70*). I would also have antibiotics and everything needed to set up a hospital tank on hand in case it is needed. Especially the harder to get items like Diamox, a cannula, Formalin, etc.

If the pipefish will take live adult brine shrimp, I would deworm it as well. However, since it is a fairly recent introduction (in the last couple months), I would wait a little while to make sure the seahorse/pipefish mixing was successful before adding new seahorses; probably until they were together for a good 6 months without issues.

DEWORMING
Deworming is a nine week process in a cycled hospital/quarantine tank. You will use three different medications, for three weeks each. One day each week, feeding two meals of gutloaded live adult brine shrimp to the seahorse or pipefish. If you are unable to get the worming meds locally, you can get all three from Seahorse Source.

PRAZIQUANTEL Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Praziquantel
Brand Names: PraziPro, Praz-Tastic, Praziquantel
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Praziquantel to the Seahorse.
Repeat for a total of 3 weeks.
• Add 10ml (~2tsp) of Praziquantel to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.
• Observe the Seahorse to be certain it is eating the adult brine shrimp.

METRONIDAZOLE Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: Metronidazole
Indication: flagellates and other internal parasites
Brand Names: Metro+, Metro-Pro, Metronidazole, Metro-MS, Flagyl. Flagyl is available by prescription
from your local veterinarian.
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Metronidazole to the Seahorse.
• If using tablets, crush one tablet into a fine powder. If using powder, dose 1/4tsp.
• Add the Metronidazole to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix thoroughly.
• Place the amount of adult brine shrimp needed for one feeding into the mixture. Leave them in the
• Remove the adult brine shrimp from the mixture and add them to the quarantine tank.

FENBENDAZOLE (liquid) Dosage and Preparation Instructions for Deworming
Active Ingredient: 10% Fenbendazole
Brand Names: Panacur, Safe-Guard
One day each week, feed two meals of adult brine shrimp gut-loaded with Fenbendazole to the Seahorse.
• Add ~250mg (2ml or ~1/2 tsp) of the Fenbendazole mixture to one gallon (~4 liters) of water and mix
thoroughly.

The Seahorse I have is approximately 4 1/2 possibly 5 inch. from head to tail ---I tried to identify the seahorse. In my area I am told that there are Hippocampus erectus Lined Seahorses in the River where it was found.
I assume the seahorse is under a year old. I thought it was a female but I do not know much about seahorses.
The seahorse eats frozen brine shrimp and mysis shrimp but the plankton is to large for her or him to eat.
It would be difficult for me to purchase adult brine shrimp and follow your instructions for deworming
I do purchase the baby live brine shrimp but I can only keep them alive for about three days.

WOULD IT BE ACCEPTABLE TO USE Jungle Parasite Clear Tank Buddies this would be easier for
me to follow the instructions? http://www.junglelabs.com/pages/details.asp?item=TB636

• Now with Praziquantel.
• Quickly clears external and internal parasites.
• Helps prevent secondary infections.
• Will not harm biological filtration.

As for the FENBENDAZOLE (liquid) I can not find in any local Aquarium store.
would there be any other brand (Panacur or Safe-Guard) with FENBENDAZOLE I could look for?

Can it be harmful administering these medications to fish?
Thank you for your time and expert advice

Whitebird1 said:
I treat mine with Paragon, by aquatronics, A Wide Spectrum Anti-Parasitic and Anti-Bacterial control. Also Isolate during treatment, takes 5 days, during this time I can observe that the horse's is feeding and can introduce it to the foods that I
supplie.
I can't find Paragon I found Parasite clear by Jungle Labs.
I went to three different aquarium stores and I could not find any of the drugs
that people suggested.
I am thinking about calling the 800 number on JUNGLE LAB BOX to ask them how
safe the product is and if the fish have to be adults to use the product.
the seahorse only eats small brine shrimp and mysis shrimp and I can't keep live
brine shrimp for long they die on the third day I can not gut load live adult
brine shrimp for the seahorse. There has to be a easier way to deworm the seahorse.
I asked many people in different Forums even seahorse.com I was told to use puppy
dewormer I think that is crazy too strong. The crazy thing is maybe the seahorse does not have worms. OH WELL THANK YOU ANYWAY

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is no easier way than what has already been given to you. Using Panacur, the puppy dewormer, is a method that as been used for a long time and is very effective.

I can almost guarantee you that all wild caught seahorses carry worms. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean anything. They are there.

abitnutty said:
Whitebird1 said:
supplie.
that people suggested.
the seahorse only eats small brine shrimp and mysis shrimp and I can't keep live
brine shrimp for the seahorse. There has to be a easier way to deworm the seahorse.
I asked many people in different Forums even seahorse.com I was told to use puppy
dewormer I think that is crazy too strong. The crazy thing is maybe the seahorse does not have worms. OH WELL THANK YOU ANYWAY

I have a lot to learn .---I purchased the Anti-Parasite medicated food and crushed it up
I put it in with the brine shrimp--I just learned that the brine shrimp I get from the Aquarium store are adult brine.

I have a Tropiquarium near me that sells me the brine shrimp but I was surprised to see that they (do not have)
any of the medications mentioned that I need. I am unable to purchase on-line so I had to resort to try the Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite food and crushing it up for the Brine---it looks as the brine are eating it they are small pellets so that is why I crushed it up. I know that is not what they mean by gutload Brine SH- but it is the only thing I can do now.

With any luck this will work. I will follow the directions on package It says to feed three consecutive days for four weeks so I will feed the BS to the seahorse
for three days then the usual foods in between. hopefully the seahorse will get the medication it needs from the BS.
It also says on the package may be used with external water treatments antibiotic-fungal and anti-parasitic
treatments so I am using LIFE GUARD by instant ocean for Broad range marine fish diseases: Bacterial .fungal,viral,
& parasitic problems. IN THE MEAN TIME I WILL TRY TO
LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN TO KEEP MY FISH ALIVE.
OH AND THE MAN AT THE TROPIQUARIUM TOLD ME THAT MY SEAHORSE CAN POSSIBLY BE ABOUT THREE YEARS OF
AGE BECAUSE OF THE SIZE------ THAT SURPRISED ME BECAUSE I DID NOT KNOW THAT A WILD SEAHORSE WOULD
SURVIVE THE COLD WINTERS IN THE NJ RIVERS FOR THAT MANY YEARS.

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
He is only guessing at the age but it is possible. Those seahorses are native to our waters and live here all year long.

seahorse.org
suggested I use Formalin (or) Malachite Green as a (precaution.)
(FOR EXTERNAL PARASITES)

I used kordon ick attack for my seahorses and they both died.

I was suggested I could use Formalin or Malachite Green to get rid of external parasites.

My seahorses did not appear to have parasites AND HAD NO SYMPTOMS
but seahorse.org
I was told it was the responsible thing to do.

Both my seahorses were healthy and (very active) they ate three times a day.

I found this product and read the package and followed the instructions.
My two seahorses were in two separate tanks and died almost a week
apart.

As soon as my first seahorse appeared to be in stress I did water changes 25%
and used Amquel plus .The other fish in that tank are fine.

The other seahorse did not appear to be in stress so I continued the treatment
for the suggested dose and time period 3 days. The ammonia in this tank went
up after the use of your product I did water changes on the forth day.
After about 4-5 days it died--it appeared healthy until I woke up and found it dead
on the bottom of the tank. They were in separate tanks because the this seahorse
was new I had her for a few weeks so she was in a quarantine tank as suggested.

The ammonia in the tanks went up after I used kordon ick attack

Can that have caused my ammonia to spike?

The ammonia in the tanks went down the next day after I did water changes right away and used Amquel plus.
I took three days to go down to zero.

I was told that the ammonia in the tanks could not have killed the fish because it
was only a matter of a day or two I did the water changes right away.
I test the water every day. The tanks were not new they were
fully cycled running tanks.

I do not blame Kordon product just my inexperience ---but I guess I should not have
used kordon ick attack because it had both Formalin & Malachite Green
in it and I was told to use one or the other for the seahorses.

I assumed your product would work just fine without hurting the fish.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED TO SEAHORSE.ORG .
MY FIRST SEAHORSE
WAS STRONG AND VERY ACTIVE & APPEARED HEALTHY --- I HAD NO
PROBLEMS UNTIL I USED kordon ick attack.

I GUESS THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT PRODUCT TO USE FOR SEAHORSES.

MY SEAHORSES WOULD STILL BE ALIVE IT I DID NOT TAKE SEAHORSE.ORG
ADVICE AND JUST LEFT THEM ALONE.

(I GUESS IT IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE)

(I do not blame Kordon product just my inexperience .)

abitnutty said:
abitnutty said:
Whitebird1 said:
supplie.
that people suggested.

I have a lot to learn .---I purchased the Anti-Parasite medicated food and crushed it up
I put it in with the brine shrimp--I just learned that the brine shrimp I get from the Aquarium store are adult brine.

I have a Tropiquarium near me that sells me the brine shrimp but I was surprised to see that they (do not have)
any of the medications mentioned that I need. I am unable to purchase on-line so I had to resort to try the Jungle Labs Anti-Parasite food and crushing it up for the Brine---it looks as the brine are eating it they are small pellets so that is why I crushed it up. I know that is not what they mean by gutload Brine SH- but it is the only thing I can do now.

With any luck this will work. I will follow the directions on package It says to feed three consecutive days for four weeks so I will feed the BS to the seahorse
for three days then the usual foods in between. hopefully the seahorse will get the medication it needs from the BS.
It also says on the package may be used with external water treatments antibiotic-fungal and anti-parasitic
treatments so I am using LIFE GUARD by instant ocean for Broad range marine fish diseases: Bacterial .fungal,viral,
& parasitic problems. IN THE MEAN TIME I WILL TRY TO
LEARN AS MUCH AS I CAN TO KEEP MY FISH ALIVE.
OH AND THE MAN AT THE TROPIQUARIUM TOLD ME THAT MY SEAHORSE CAN POSSIBLY BE ABOUT THREE YEARS OF
AGE BECAUSE OF THE SIZE------ THAT SURPRISED ME BECAUSE I DID NOT KNOW THAT A WILD SEAHORSE WOULD
SURVIVE THE COLD WINTERS IN THE NJ RIVERS FOR THAT MANY YEARS.

I WAS TOLD TO STOP USING LIFE GUARD by instant ocean IT WILL HARM THE SEAHORSE SO I
DID WATER CHANGES AFTER I WAS TOLD THIS INFORMATION HOPEFULLY THIS DID NO DAMAGE.

abitnutty said:
seahorse.org
(FOR EXTERNAL PARASITES)

I used kordon ick attack for my seahorses and they both died.

I was suggested I could use Formalin or Malachite Green to get rid of external parasites.

My seahorses did not appear to have parasites AND HAD NO SYMPTOMS
but seahorse.org
I was told it was the responsible thing to do.

Both my seahorses were healthy and (very active) they ate three times a day.

I found this product and read the package and followed the instructions.
My two seahorses were in two separate tanks and died almost a week
apart.

As soon as my first seahorse appeared to be in stress I did water changes 25%
and used Amquel plus .The other fish in that tank are fine.

The other seahorse did not appear to be in stress so I continued the treatment
for the suggested dose and time period 3 days. The ammonia in this tank went
up after the use of your product I did water changes on the forth day.
After about 4-5 days it died--it appeared healthy until I woke up and found it dead
on the bottom of the tank. They were in separate tanks because the this seahorse
was new I had her for a few weeks so she was in a quarantine tank as suggested.

The ammonia in the tanks went up after I used kordon ick attack

Can that have caused my ammonia to spike?

The ammonia in the tanks went down the next day after I did water changes right away and used Amquel plus.
I took three days to go down to zero.

I was told that the ammonia in the tanks could not have killed the fish because it
was only a matter of a day or two I did the water changes right away.
I test the water every day. The tanks were not new they were
fully cycled running tanks.

I do not blame Kordon product just my inexperience ---but I guess I should not have
used kordon ick attack because it had both Formalin & Malachite Green
in it and I was told to use one or the other for the seahorses.

I assumed your product would work just fine without hurting the fish.

I SHOULD NOT HAVE LISTENED TO SEAHORSE.ORG .
MY FIRST SEAHORSE
WAS STRONG AND VERY ACTIVE & APPEARED HEALTHY --- I HAD NO
PROBLEMS UNTIL I USED kordon ick attack.

I GUESS THAT WAS NOT THE RIGHT PRODUCT TO USE FOR SEAHORSES.

MY SEAHORSES WOULD STILL BE ALIVE IT I DID NOT TAKE SEAHORSE.ORG
ADVICE AND JUST LEFT THEM ALONE.

(SEAHORSE.ORG DID NOT RECOMMEND --ICK ATTACK ---BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD WORK
FINE BECAUSE IT HAD THE SAME MEDICATIONS THEY SUGGESTED TO USE ON THEIR WEB SITE.)

(I GUESS IT IS A LEARNING EXPERIENCE)

(I do not blame Kordon product just my inexperience .)