• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Shroom Killer!

That's my new screen name based on my experience!

Maybe shroom shrinker is more appropriate. Every LPS and Softie I have is thriving, but the few shrooms or rics I have are all shrunken or have disappeared. I have some in each of my 3 tanks.

Tank parameters are usually 1.025 sg, 8.01 ph, 3.66 meq alk, 77-79 F temp .. except for 80 -83 this past week when I had AC issues, 1275 -1300 mg, 0 - .01 nitrates, 0 nitrites and ammonia.

My 75g LPS tank has 550w VHO and moderate flow with a Mag 7 return and a Mag 18 closed loop with a SCWD.

My 55g softie tank has 440w VHO with a Seio 820 and Seio 620 for moderately strong flow with some Aquaclear powerheads on a timer for surge.

The third tank is a nano in the process of coming down, so I'll be moving what's in there soon.

It seems I'm missing some key shroom parameter. Any ideas?

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Where do you have them placed in the tank? IME it seems the red and purple shrooms liked lower light levels. The metallic greens ones I used to have were about 6" under my MH and did great, but my green frilly shrooms liked lower lighting. The rics I had were about 8" or more away from my MH and did well, the green rics took off but the orange ones grew a little slower. My temp was a steady 78-79, had my SG 1.025 - 1.026. My PH was lower than yours 7.8 (ish), I had a decent amount of flow through it. (Mag 18 + Tunze)

Or it could be your water is just too clean! ;D

HTH

Hey Brian,

You've seen my water, more LPS friendly with lots of life. I don't think it's too clean!

Placement was all at the bottom. I'm reading now that the rics might do better up top so I'll be moving them tonight.

So when is the new tank coming??

Are they gone overnight or are they slowly withering away? Could something be eating them? usually if their not getting enough light they stretch up towards the light. Try moving them to the ends of the tank and up a little bit.

Hey Jeff,

It's usually a period of a few days. Not right away, but not too long. There are a few tiny survivors, I'll try moving them around.

better late than never...

On shrooms, BAH on the light most of the time. Pacific rics like lower light (the blues or reds, TRUE rics), Atlantic Rics can deal with most light. I have some regular, wagon wheel mushrooms, and they grow right up my standpipe under 250w MH. If thats not TOO MUCH light, nothing is for them. Granted, they arent flat and round like if they were lower, but they multiplied many times on their own, so they are obviously doing well... 8" under a 250w MH

You did say MIXED tank. You do know that softies emit chemicals to keep space around them, and notably, Colt corals (Klyxum) and mushrooms tend to have some WICKED warfare. Really no compromise, one or the other wins, and the loser is annhiliated.

Most LPS are contact warfare, so be on the lookout for sweeper tentacles, usually later at night, after lights out.

Thanks Erik!

The softie tank is now shroom free and yes, there is a thriving colt right in the middle of the tank.

I now have a thriving frilly shroom in the lps tank, Knocks on Wood,in a lower light area. I'll see how it goes.

Next challenge to tackle, XENIA! Although I'll save that for another tank. I'm running out of real estate in the current tanks. ;D

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Bill, I have some real nice Ric's for you to try. They keep spliting in my tank.

I was checking out behind some of the rockwork and found a ric still hanging on. It's tiny, but still there.

The frilly shroom is a monster now. Really cool! Maybe there is some hope for me in the shroom areana, yet!