• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Silencing overflow

I finally got the sump set up and the HOB overflow is noisy as anything... drowns out the air conditioner right next to me :p Does anyone know a way to silence it? a pvc adapter or something of the sort?

thanks in advance

If it's the drain from the overflow box try putting a bio ball in the box where it drains out. But it must be inspected to check for clogging.
You also want to take the output pipe from you overflow box out of the water in the sump, you can also increase back pressure by adding bends or elbows to reduce the suction, that should cure the flushing.

I put a small sponge in the overflow box on the external side where the drain goes and it quieted it down a bit - but I keep an eye on it - dont want a flood. :'(

i just took a short peice of pvc pipe, a T, an endcap, and a 90

get piece of pipe to fit down the pipe hole leading to sump. attach T and have the 90 going out the side aiming downwards, then have small piece of pipe with endcap on top with small hole drilled in the top. peace and quite. that was the best i could describe it.. hope it helps

I think what onefish2fish is trying to describe is something similar to an external durso standpipe..
do an online search for that title... that might give you a few ideas...