• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Since adding the Ka Reactor

My Alk/dKH is pretty high.

PH-8.2 (finally ;D)
dKH-14.4
ALK-5.14
Mag-1380
Cal-450

I think the ALK has been high for way too long. I thought it would come down to 10 or 11 but i'm not too sure 14dKH is such a good thing.

Anyone have anythoughts?

I'll also add that I haven't hooked up my CA reactor yet because i'd like to get my PH up to 8.3 or 8.4 before bringing it back down with the CO2

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Alk is definitely too high. With a PH that low and an alk that high (what test are you using?) you must have CO2 that's sitting in your system. Did you ever get your skimmer air intake out a window? With a DKH that high your PH should be up around 8.6-7.

I would split the Kalk drip with RO drip so that your dosing 80% Kalk & 20% RO. That will, of course, require another ATO. :) In the mean time, get some fresh air into that skimmer.

OK. I just took hard airline tubbing and put it from my skimmer to ouside a window. I'll let you guys know what happens around 2pm when I get back from work.

In the meantime should i turnoff the KA Reactor?

Thanks Phyl.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'd turn off the kalk reactor for now. If your PH reacts properly it is going to shoot through the roof. I have no idea how long that will take to happen.

My tank has no coral in it but all my fish are still in there.

What do I do if it does go up. Should I just add the Calcium reactor?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
It will go up. In the long run, when your PH is balanced you'll need to adjust your use of the kalk reactor with fresh water/Ca reactor.Our DKH runs around 11. It would be better to run it lower, but I can't seem to do that, lol.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Mike I am showing very similar readings and have been having the same problem since adding the Kalk reactor.

One problem might be the DKH test kit, I am using Salifert, same as you I believe and I just tested with Sera and got a DKH reading of 8, Salifert shows 14.5. So basically I dont know what to believe. I am going to buy a third test kit to see what that reads, and hopefully will tell me which kit is correct.

Has anybody been having any success with a certain test kit???

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Holy CROW that's a big difference. Maybe my readings aren't as high as I thought! LOL! Sera should be a good kit. I'd love to try those, but you don't see them many places.

Salifert has been having issues with their Alk kits measuring high for some time now.

Mike,I have a Lamotte kit handy if you want to compare tests. Also an older Salifert kit. I have a new Salifert kit that I'll be pitching as it measures high.

Dnov99, I'm in Woodbridge if you want me to test your alk as well.

I gave up on the Salifert Alk tests. I was using Sera until I ran out, now I'm using Elos. These two have given me identical results. 10dkh.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
blange3 said:
Dnov99, I'm in Woodbridge if you want me to test your alk as well.

Thank you!! I will speak to Mike, and see what his results are, I actually used his Salifert kit on my tank too, and came up with the same results. so basically if his DKH is not as high as expected, we know it is Salifert. From the feedback posted here I am guessing that is the problem.

Thanks for the help.

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm going to reiterate what Bill posted.
Newer Salifert dKh test kits are bad. I had a test kit from a different batch. The older one was reading 9dKh, the newer one was reading 14+ dKh. There is a lot # list somewhere on RC. Basically I wouldn't trust any Salifert dKh test kits.

I'm very happy now that i've heard the test kit news.

I'll get a different test and see what happens. Bill if you go to AO anytime soon let me know and i'll meet you there to borrow the test.

Darren, I guess we're probably in better shape than we thought.

I know it's only been 4 hours but my Ph is still holding strong at 8.2. I'll keep an eye on it with the air tub out the window and see what happens.

I'm thinking it was the testkit.

MikeNapoli said:
I'm very happy now that i've heard the test kit news.

I'll get a different test and see what happens. Bill if you go to AO anytime soon let me know and i'll meet you there to borrow the test.

Darren, I guess we're probably in better shape than we thought.

Mike,

I may be heading over there tonight before I go to another wedding rehersal. You are always welcome to stop by the house as well.

I've been checking out some threads over on RC in the chemistry forum regarding test kits and salt. Billybeau1 has been a busy guy lately.

I was surprised to see that he was not a fan of Lamotte hobby grade kits, particularly the Alkalinity kit. I matched this kit to my good salifert alk and it was very close.

He did like Serra for the money, comparable to API.

Just found one of my old API tests for KH and it changed color after 8 drips and changed completely after 9 drips. I think this means my dKH according to this test is roughly between 8 and 9 and my ALK is between 2.85 and 3.2.

I'm a tiny bit more comfortable.