• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Single MH pendant for 4ft tank?

I know what you are all saying, but what about a single 150w MH pendant just for looks?

I dont need to grow corals or even softies. I am just looking for a light that will highlight the fish and give a shimmer.

Will it look ridiculous and have bad shadowing?

It would be hanging from ceiling...problem is the centerbrace would be in the way as well.

Thoughts?

Since you are going fish only I would stick with 2 T5’s. Less heat, and with summer coming hanging a MH in your living room will heat up that space, they cost less, the bulbs last about 18+ months and you won’t have to worry about the center brace.

Jon

i have a single 250 MH over my 4 foot tank but i cut the center brace out
& put a clear piece of acrylic on there so i dint get no shadow it should
work the same with a 150 if u do the same thing but if u don't change the
center brace u will have the shadow.
i love the shimmer effect that MH gives it just looks awesome.
one thing i have noticed though is if u point a power head up to the top of
the water so it moves a lot some normal output bulbs will give u a shimmer effect
when my lights are out & i lift the hood up to do something i notice the shimmer
& it looks cool but its not as bright as MH try playing around with household bulbs
& see if some work out for u.

I personally like having the MH smaller then the actual tank, gives some areas of shade and dimness where some fish and corals can relax that dont like the intensity of 250watts