• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer for 120?

I plan on upgrading from a 75 to a 120 in about a year. So I am starting to plan the tank out now. First order of business is choosing a skimmer. After reading a bunch of reviews, I'm leaning towards the Aquamaxx CO-2. Thoughts? Any other suggestions?

I'm happy with my Tunze 9410. I'm using it on my 180 with 225 total volume. And best of all only uses 15 watts.

Product Description
Skimming, filtering and aerating a saltwater aquarium without power consumption is impossible. But, no unit uses less current than TUNZE DOC Skimmer 9410. At a power consumption of only 15W, the new DOC Skimmer has equivalent performance to much larger skimmers consuming more than twice as much power. Suitable for an 80 gallon heavily stocked SPS tank through to a 265 gallon fish only.

I expect in a year or so I'll probably go bigger as bio load goes up.

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Keep an eye out on the Classic RO skimmers, those skimmers are workhorses. You can also upgrade the pump to bubble blasters down the road. I've notice a lot of them are popping up for sale lately.

i use an old MRC with an extender and waste collector. Stuff reeks. Lately though the newer skimmers are smaller/compact and just as effective. The MRC doesn't come with a pump -i have to hook it up with my reeflo. Good luck -the choices are dizzying!

What are you using now? If you are oversized for your current setup then chances are you will be good for the 120 as well.

That said I usually recommend the SWC skimmers as I have used them and loved them all. I had a SWC 120 a while back and my 90 ran the SWC 160. Both were great skimmers. I'm currently running the SWC 230 and I love that too. Some people have issues buying from them because of the owners questionable decisions though.

Thanks for the replies so far guys!
John, I'm running the SRO 1000 INT right now. I think it would be too small to handle the 120. With a bigger tank, I'll certainly be adding more fish.