• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer help

I have my skimmer up and running for the 1st time. By the way, this is my first experience with a protein skimmer. I have an ASM G4X. I completed a gate valve modification so that I can fine tune the flow. Anyway, after 3 days with 100 lbs of live rock in the system, I have very little in the collection cup. I have it tunned so that the bubbles rise to the middle of the neck of the collection cup. If I go higher, water fills up the collection cup, lower and I don't get a thing in the cup. Does it sound like I am doing something wrong?
Any advice?

Thanks,
Lance

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The live rock is cured correct?

If so, there is little waste for the skimmer to skim. Need to get some poop in there!

Yup, it's cured. So that sounds normal not to have any waste yet?
I'll have to work on getting some poop in the tank so I have something to clean! ;)

RichT

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If your going to get all cured rock, pick up a half dozon or so chromis from Ocean Aquarium. You'll also want to add a small pinch of some type of food every 4 or 5 days even without fish.