• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer is electrocuting the tank

I think there was as post somewhere saying ground probe is not a good idea. Any idea. I have kept my skimmer off for the time being. No problem with any other tank equipment. Powerhead, light fixture, fuge pump. Just the skimmer.

Can skimmer pumps do this in course of normal behaviour? Do I make my skimmer company replace the pump ? Also my closests LFS would be Petco and Petsmart. A little further away is Aq Obsessions. Do any of these guys carry ground probes ?

If you skimmer pump is leaking voltage and current into the tank, then replacing the pump is the better fix action.

If your skimmer is new enough it may be under warrenty still. Do you know what type of pump it is?

Edit:
Though, yes petsmart/petco/AO normally does carry ground probes. Though it will save your life more than that of your critters.

Why do say, it would save my life more than critters?

Some of my hermits seems to have died and this has caused an ammonia spike as well. I am preparing fresh salt water as we speak. But is there something I can do in the meanwhile to reduce ammonia in the meanwhile.

Has anyone ever tried Biospira/Dr tim's One and Only for such situations ?

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
How bad is the voltage leak?  Can you feel the tingle when you put you hand in the tank?  If you can, measure the voltage by using a multimeter (VOM).  One probe in the water, the other to ground.  I use the little screw on the coverplate of an outlet.

Voltage is not a problem until the curcuit is completed.  By using a grounding probe, you are completing the curcuit.  It will protect you from getting zapped, but not your tank.  Adding a grounding probe does not solve the problem.

Dont have a volt meter will get from home depot today, but I think the circuit is getting completed since I have a metal tank stand. Needless to say that the skimmer is off for now. What if I have the probe in the skimmer though. Shouldnt that complete the circuit before water comes in my tank?

Can you give me a solution to the ammonia spike ? Can I use biospira/dr tim's one and only?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Biospira and the like are to speed up a cycle by adding bacteria that is not there. I have never heard it being used to reduce ammonia, I guess in theory it might work but a water change would probably be better.

The stand would need to be touching the water to complete the circuit. You, by sticking your hand in, complete the path to ground, although sneakers, carpet etc insulates you against being an easy path. The ground probe needs to be a piece of stainless with a wire attached, and like mentioned can be attached to the ground screw. And as mentioned before, it doesnt fix the problem, theres still a charge in the water. Change the pump or get it warrantied.

I am changing the pump but it would take a couple of days to get shipped from Coral Vue. And the pump and skimmer are both under warranty. I literally got my skimmer 2 days back :mad:

Ammonia spikes could also cause corals to give out organics, which I really want to avoid.

Could I run Carbon in my fuge to lessen the effects of organics ? I am getting Biospira for the ammonia.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Gogol, you are more than welcome to borrow my multimeter. Stop by and I'll show you how to simply use it.

Biospira added to an established tank isn't going to do anything. You already have developed the bacteria to metabolize ammonia to nitrite to nitrate. I'm sure you just need to get rid or the nitrate. Water changes are a good place to start.

Running carbon will help in removing organics. If you have a reactor, run it.

ur better off chucking it and just getting a new one. its a hassle to deal with companys. i was using a filter that was killing fish once....wasnt good

Thanks for the offer paul. There was a leak in my skimmer which might have caused the grief as well.

Could we try this? I am trying to seal the leak today with silicone. Once that's done I can get it to your place and we could try the experiment over a pail of water. Tap water should conduct electricity fine :).

Let me know when and if in the evening tomm is a good time.

Thanks for the help again.
Gogol.

If the skimmer is under warrentee just get a new one as you probably will void the warrentee using silicone on it. Sorry to hear your trouble.

Hanging a bag of carbon will help even without a reactor, try to get some flow over/through it.

I have a bag of Fluval Carbon in my fuge and also a bag of PURA Phos-Lock. I just dumped 50 gallon worth of Dr Tim's one and only in my tank, which seems to have stemmed the rot somewhat. Preparing 5 more gallons of salt water for a water change tonight. I have already done two seperate batches of 5 gallon water changes yesterday.

Thanks for the silicone advice !! Didnt think of the warranty bit. As of now there's just plumber's tape that does leak. Coral Vue technologies is shipping me another pump as we speak.