• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer Question

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Does anyone have experience with Seaclone 100? I saw one for sale,$50 new. I currently have a Prizm, non-deluxe, and was wondering if the Seaclone would be better. I need a hang-on and tank is 55 gallons. The Prizm is rated for 75 gallons and the Seclone 100. Any opinions? Should I just keep the Prizm and wait until I can afford a better one?

Thanks,
Mark

I had one last year when I first started reefing, while it did skim decently on my 55 just about everyone thinks they are garbage. Either way, I don't think it'd be much better than your Prizm. The Prizm's probably better anyways. For about double the $50 you'd spend on that Seaclone you can find an Octopus hang on which are supposed to be very good.

I was using one on my old 55 gal.Now I have a corner setup that I can't use a hang-on skimmer.I did'nt think it was too bad at skimming,but the bottom connection did start to leak(right onto the power strip :eek:)drip by drip until I heard a "sizzling sound" almost a disaster,so ....BEWARE!
Good luck with it,just watch the bottom connection.
So long-Pete

At first they are great. Once you get the air dialed in correctly it pulls a lot of crap out. Then one day there's a leak in the elbow, then the return water causes tons of micre bubbles in your tank, then there is a horrible salt creep problem. One day you'll look behind your tank and find a 6" stalagtite of salt, then you look down on the hardwood floor and see it all buckled right under the skimmer.

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Thanks for the info everyone. Think I'll hang-on, no pun intended, to my Prizm and save for a better one.