• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

skimmer recomendation?

I just bought a 120 and I want a in-sump skimmer for it. I have always used a hang on in the past as needed. I was looking in ILC, Aquarium Discount Pet Center, and Dr's Foster and Smith online and they all look alike but the prices range from 200-400. I have heard in the past to avoid Coralife and Sea Clones. What brands should I avoid? Which brands offer the best value?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ASM skimmers are great in-sump skimmer with excellent feedback. I know Billy swears by his. Just go one up from where your tank volume is. So if based on your volume you'd need a G2 then go with the G3.

I've read many threads where userd highly recommend Euro-Reef skimmers. ASM is another that is often recommended. I have an AquaC EV 180 and cannot recommend it at this time.

Thank you for the recommendation. It seems that most of the feedback leans towards ASM or Octopus. I found new ones on eBay and saltwaterfish.com for my price range. I figured that if I get one rated for up to 180, it should give me some extra wiggle room just in case.

up to 180 should be fine.. I always in the past purchased skimmers that were no less then capable of running twice the size of my tank. I just used it as a good rule of thumb. However, you should be just fine.. :) Good Luck! You can't go wrong with Octopus. I have heard great things... great things I tell you.. :)

Billy
can you please let me know when your buddy decides to sell the asm. I just transferred all my fish to a 210g and need a larger skimmer. do you know if asm's can be used externally ?

thx
Peter

i will post it up.. asms are not an external skimmer, i searched it a long time ago and people said don't use them for an external skimmer...

I too use ASM skimmer I have a G1X on my 120 and it does a great goob I'd recommend either a G1X or G2 for the 120 depending on the size of your sump.