• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer recomendations

Ok, I think I've had it with this Coralife skimmer.

When I first got it, the pump didn't work. They sent me a new pump. It has been running great for a couple of months, now all of the sudden, the stupid thing isn't generating any foam. The water level adjustment dial on the side just spins freely in any direction. It does adjust the water level, but the crazy thing is just pumping water at this point.

Since I am going to be upgrading my tank soon anyway, what do you guys recomend for up to 120 gallon tank?

Unless someone knows what the heck is wrong with the one I have! It's only about 4 or 5 months old, but is really starting to agitate me. I've had the whole thing off, cleaned and put back on and I can't get it to generate the amount of bubbles required to actually get foam out to the collection cup.

Ugg...

Brian

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
MRC!

These skimmers are great! For your size system you would probably need the MR-1

Click Here: MRC

They are a little pricey, but well worth it!

i have an asm3 and works good, maybe try to look in to euroreef, they have very good skimmer, look into octopus skimmers they have some good models too, or look if you can get and asm and make some modes to work even better, im big in neddle wheel skimer, because i dont have the space for and external skimmer.
Gabe

Thanks guys. I will check out all of those models.

I think I finally got the "junker" (as I have come to un-affectionately call it) working again for now. It was the stupid "air silencer" that apparently was clogged. I just yanked the air hose off of it and wedged it under my stand. POOF! Foam again. Grrr...

But as I said, if I go to 120 gallon instead of 90 gallon, I'm afraid this thing won't keep up. I intentionally oversized it to the 125 when I bought it because I wanted to make sure I was getting the skimming I wanted, but it seems that this thing is going to be more trouble than its worth.

pgordemer

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you are going to a 120, check out Aqua C EV-120 / EV-180. (www.proteinskimmer.com).

Love my EV-120, pulls lots of gunk and with the overflow tank with carbon in it, you never have a mess or a smell to deal with.

Good company to deal with support wise if you have questions.

-Phil

I also have an aquac (the HOB style remora since I have a acrylic tank and no sump etc) and I'm happy with it as well.. although when I just really cleaned it out I'm getting a TON of very very wet skim where before it was always very dry.

Will definitely check into those, although I will want an in-sump model. Right now my CSS is technically still a hang on since I have it hanging on the sump under the stand.

Amazing enough, since I yanked that air hose off the "silencer" (which by the way, I detect no increased noise from it unless I stick the hose in my ear!) it has been foaming like a mad dog!

We shall see what surprises the "junker" has for me next...

Check the air intake, my coralife skimmer clogs every once in awhile and I have to blow in the air intake to clear it out.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Matt. I hooked up a small air pump to that line and it skimmed like crazy.

I have a H&S A150- 2001 on my 90 gallon. It out performed the MTC HSA-1000 Beckett type skimmer. I am very happy with it.
Ken

C

concept3

Deltec AP600 here, got a GREAT deal on RC from Eric (lunchbucket). I used to have a pump feeding it (MJ1200) and it slowed down production after a few months, Never could figure it out until I got it setup in my current tank/sump. NOW I have a cup and a half a day of some of the foulest stench I've ever smelled coming out of my tank- One change from the old setup- no more feed pump. I take the feed from my overflow since the Deltec is a recirculating needlewheel. Made a WHOLE lotta difference.

I would go with an ASM G3 or 4, but do the recirulating mod and pull from your overflow to feed it since it has alot more surface organics.

I used to have an AquaC EV120 and needed to fiddle with it a lot to wet skim which is what I liked. Also used to have an ETSS downdraft (dad's house) and although powerful and skmmed like crazy, required a rather large pump. I'm all about saving electricity these days since the summer months are coming and I don't want to pay over $400 for my tiny place again for electricity.

You may have to do more than blow into the air intake to cleanit out. That is what I was doing, but over time it clogged. Now I pull the strainer assembly off the pump and clean the air intake with a drill bit about once a month.

I'm going to try the fishing line mod soon as well. I have mine about a year now. Not the greatest, but for the price, I'm happy.

Thanks guys. Definitely appreciate all the input.

At this point, I pulled the air silencer off all together. Like I said, I don't notice any increase in noise, but that's probably because my overflow gurgles like a drunken fat guy, I am running a mag 9.5 as my return pump (very very slight noise) and I have a phosban reactor running as well.

michaelm2431 said:
Matt. I hooked up a small air pump to that line and it skimmed like crazy.

What air pump did you use, and how did you hook it up? Just run a normal air pump into the current line? That's interesting, I may try that.

blange3 said:
You may have to do more than blow into the air intake to cleanit out. That is what I was doing, but over time it clogged. Now I pull the strainer assembly off the pump and clean the air intake with a drill bit about once a month.

I'm going to try the fishing line mod soon as well. I have mine about a year now. Not the greatest, but for the price, I'm happy.

I definitely tried blowing through it, that didn't work. I tried jamming something in there to clear it, but all that did was dislodge whatever it was, which promptly got sucked right back up anyway.

I just yanked it off.

concept3.875 said:
Deltec AP600 here, got a GREAT deal on RC from Eric (lunchbucket). I used to have a pump feeding it (MJ1200) and it slowed down production after a few months, Never could figure it out until I got it setup in my current tank/sump. NOW I have a cup and a half a day of some of the foulest stench I've ever smelled coming out of my tank- One change from the old setup- no more feed pump. I take the feed from my overflow since the Deltec is a recirculating needlewheel. Made a WHOLE lotta difference.

I would go with an ASM G3 or 4, but do the recirulating mod and pull from your overflow to feed it since it has alot more surface organics.

I used to have an AquaC EV120 and needed to fiddle with it a lot to wet skim which is what I liked. Also used to have an ETSS downdraft (dad's house) and although powerful and skmmed like crazy, required a rather large pump. I'm all about saving electricity these days since the summer months are coming and I don't want to pay over $400 for my tiny place again for electricity.

I would love to have a recirculating model. It will all depend on how much money I can set aside for that. If I go to the 120 gallon (which I am leaning ever closer to) I will need new lights, a bigger sump, and a new skimmer. I might have to bare-knuckle fight the wife for that much of the monthly budget. :) (and she's tougher than you'd think!!)

I wonder if the CSS can be modded to function as recirculating... I got ahold of good ole Rob at ESU (coralife) and he is sending me out a new skimmer body. I gotta say, that guy has been pretty great with customer service! May be something I will have to try.

CSS can be modded, but the tube in the center can cause problems. You will also end up with quite a bit of turbulence in the chamber.

I know there was a thread up on RC a while ago. I can also see if I can find some pics.

Marcelo -

Daniel

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ReefDrumz said:
MRC!

These skimmers are great! For your size system you would probably need the MR-1

Click Here: MRC

They are a little pricey, but well worth it!
I am with you my MRC-2 kicks butt

I would suggest going with the best quality according to your budget and the largest recommended gallons that is suggested. For instance I have a 72g tank and my skimmer is rated for at least 200g tank. This is good to have proper effieciency and also good if some day you want to upgrade to a larger tank.

I recommend staying away from cheap knock off's. If they are cheap there is a reason why. With skimmers you pay for the quality. Otherwise you will do what I did and buy cheap and hoping for the best, and getting junk.

I currently have a Euro-reef skimmer which works great. I would look at the following manufacturers to start.

ASM
Deltec
Euro-reef

Check out the prices on www.ebay.com but do your research before you bid and buy.

Attachments

• Santa silver back.jpg
    17.8 KB · Views: 69
Thanks everyone!

I think I have a pretty good plan in place at this point.

First: Tank
Second: Build stand and canopy
Third: Lights (got some great info from Ed at ILC today, THANKS ED!)
Fourth: Sump and Skimmer

I finally got the "junker" working again, and it is back to pulling out a cup full of nasty crap every couple of days like before. It should hold out until I can get the new system running, hopefully all told in a couple of months time.

Whatever skimmer I get will definitely be oversized. The tank will be 120 and the sump will be at least 30, if not 2 or 3 times that, so I am looking into ones that are rated for at least 300 gallons.