• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Skimmer Water Level

I have a DIY Beckett skimmer. It's an external skimmer. The pump supplying water to the skimmer is a Reeflo Marlin pump. The skimmer has been working fine. Tonight, I went to check on something in the sump and found that the water level in the main chamber dropped halfway down the main chamber. The output of the skimmer has a gate valve that I don't fool with. The outlet of the skimmer goes back to my sump and is not submerged in the sump water. The water spills back into the sump just above the water level. It's been like that overnight. I had my hands in the tank, but that was over 12 hours ago. Does anyone have an idea what would suddenly cause the water level to drop?

Thanks

danthemanj

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Number of possibilities:

Restriction in the inlet or outlet of your pump (snails, debris, etc.), Damaged impeller or motor causing the pump to run slower or it might simply be an increase in gravity in your neighborhood.

I adjust my valve from time to time because the water level can change at any time. It usually stays constant but it will just jump down for no reason.

NEWSALT said:
jazzsam said:
it will just jump down for no reason.

Does your level drop down as much, half the column height?

Once or twice but if it is that far there is usually a reason. It could be something blocking the flow into the skimmer OR something was blocking the output and finally moved?

C

concept3

is the beckett producing the same amount of bubbles? A friend had something similar happen and we cleaned out the air intake from salt creep and it helped

Beckett is producing good foam. I'd be surprised if the air intake was clogged because you can hear it sucking air 10ft away.