• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Small leak

So my tank has been up and running since February and today I noticed a leak from the return line bulkhead on the bottom of my tank. This leak drops directly into my sump.

Here’s my question. Do gaskets on these bulk heads go bad after eight months? I haven’t touched any of that stuff and just noticed it tonight.

Thanks

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
not likely it is the gasket if it was new . I would try to tighten a little very carefully!Plus if it is leaking salt creep should clog leak .

You could tighten it but it may do more harm than good. If I found a leak going directly into the sump, I'd likely leave it be until salt creep sealed it up

bigyankfan

Treasurer
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
It can also be from overtightening. If it too tight the gasket distorts and causes leaks. Also the gasket goes on the flange side.

I like the “leave it alone” plan…. I was able stuff a small rag around it as well. This should help speed up the salt creep. Thanks Everyone.