• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Snail haul thanks to Jersey Shore!

I ended going crabbing by Mantaloking bridge while the crabbing was bad I ended up finding these snails all along the sea wall so me being me I decided to cling to the wall and grab a few. There were so many more but I was pushing it as far as hanging off the edge of the slippery wall. They look like baby conch snails.

Attachments

• 3B717895-F172-4C97-BE77-906E71E011D7.jpeg
    3B717895-F172-4C97-BE77-906E71E011D7.jpeg
    965.5 KB · Views: 15
These guys are burying themselves in my substrate. Do whelk snails do that?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    890 KB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 5
Yup, they are very similar to nassarius snails and look similar but their "snout" will be a speckled pattern look.

Oh dear god now I’m worried. I have like 26 in my tank. No clams though. I have a few turbos should I be worried?

Mwil79 thanks the heads up. I actually found out through some research. These are known as oyster drill snails and are native to NJ. Known to hang out on piling sand eat barnacles and bivalves. A predatory snail that I will now pull out

Attachments

• 76A78A2D-2EF7-472E-86BF-94CCE2D8B4BB.png
    76A78A2D-2EF7-472E-86BF-94CCE2D8B4BB.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 7

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
There is one other potential issue with locally collected snails.....swimmer's itch. We had a member years ago who collected local snails. He wondered why he always had rashes, with some requiring visits to the hospital. For the longest time he blamed palytoxins. But after one emergency room visit they finally identified it as swimmer's itch. A parasite that has part of it's life cycle in snails, which causes skin rashes in humans.

The parasite's life cycle does require a bird phase so that if quarantined for an extended period I would surmise the parasite should be gone.

Screenshot 2022-08-20 10.50.27 PM.png