• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Snails?

so what are your favorite kinds of snails and why? let's see them!

I've had only great experiences with Mexican turbos. others not so much, wonder why!?!?

Attachments

• 20201010_124312.jpg
    20201010_124312.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
I've been struggling to find a Lfs that has snails... All my reefcleaner.org packages arrive dead so idk what to do

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I like the Mexican turbo they grow big.

I have two that are huge.

It’s hard to see in pictures.

I like turban snails and Trochus
I get my inverts from reefcleaner and reefco

Attachments

• 4D8B6BDB-54AB-491E-8F12-164C9ECEAC83.jpeg
    4D8B6BDB-54AB-491E-8F12-164C9ECEAC83.jpeg
    235.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 9D8BE464-1515-46C5-8397-F5A0486FD3B6.jpeg
    9D8BE464-1515-46C5-8397-F5A0486FD3B6.jpeg
    664.5 KB · Views: 7
Tiger conch is my favorite-keeps the sand bed clean and is a curiosity to anyone visiting who hasn’t seen one before.
Here’s a pic of a fighting conch I previously had; it got way too big and kept getting wedged between the rock, and one day my rescue was too late. The tiger conch remains smaller, so I’ve never had to rescue it, but just as effective and interesting.

Attachments

• B2B1EC48-25A8-41DF-87DF-6E9E311F13CF.jpeg
    B2B1EC48-25A8-41DF-87DF-6E9E311F13CF.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Where do you live? All the LFS stores around me have snails - Absolutely Fish, Sea Level, Aquatic Obsessions... Even Petco has snails.
I was at absolutely fish two weeks ago and they had zero snails... they changed their invert tanks up.. maybe just got more stuff in?

Petco has all dead stuff - never good sized stuff.

I can look at the others.. I am North Jersey

The most recent snails that I bought locally were from Sea Level about a month ago. Just wanted a few astrea and others that I could throw into my frag tank. I've bought from Absolutely Fish in the past but I guess they don't have any now. A few months back I bought Mexican turbos and a couple other snails (can't remember what type) from the Petco in Totowa as well as some from the East Hanover one. The Mexican turbos were huge actually, but sometimes the tanks at Petco are a little sketchy looking.

If you ever get a chance to get up to NY Aquatic (in the Bronx), I've found them the cheapest for inverts. My nassarius snails are from him, though the best thing going was when he had skunk cleaner shrimp for $8 and fire shrimp for $15. It's a bit more of a drive, but if you need to buy a significant clean up crew, it might be worth your time.

Hallowhead

NJRC Member
Bump again...

I am about to place a reefcleaners.org order but they don't have any trochus available. Does anyone have a surplus in North Jersey that I could buy?

Salted

NJRC Member
Bump again...

I am about to place a reefcleaners.org order but they don't have any trochus available. Does anyone have a surplus in North Jersey that I could buy?
I wanted to place an order from them yesterday but apparently I didn't put enough in my cart because at just under $20 the site wouldn't let me get a shipping charge. I'm not spending $60 there. Maybe when the trochus are available again we could share and order.

Salted

NJRC Member
had some at tsm last time i was there. dont have any in my tank right now though.
TSM is like 2 1/2 hrs from me, I don't see myself going there.
I got lucky and found a bunch at local petco.. 3.50 a pop but still a good find
Saw you say you're in NNJ, which Petco? They all seem to have just redone their fish depts. All the ones we've been to (Totowa, Rutherford, Parsippany, E. Hanover, Succasunna) are all new. I want some snails and was looking for suggestions in this thread.

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Salt,
The Petco in Brick is phenominal for a Petco. The manager, Andrew, is on top of things and extremely knowledgable on salt water. He also tends to give discounts and will order any fish you need.
Unfortunately he's been out on leave for the past couple of weeks and the place is starting to turn into a Petco, hopefully he'll return sooner than later.

Salted

NJRC Member
Salt,
The Petco in Brick is phenominal for a Petco. The manager, Andrew, is on top of things and extremely knowledgable on salt water. He also tends to give discounts and will order any fish you need.
Unfortunately he's been out on leave for the past couple of weeks and the place is starting to turn into a Petco, hopefully he'll return sooner than later.
I’ve seen several member posts saying this. I’ve been meaning to make the trip to check it out. It’s a little far for me.

amado

Dal
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
TSM is like 2 1/2 hrs from me, I don't see myself going there.

Saw you say you're in NNJ, which Petco? They all seem to have just redone their fish depts. All the ones we've been to (Totowa, Rutherford, Parsippany, E. Hanover, Succasunna) are all new. I want some snails and was looking for suggestions in this thread.

Reefco has a lot of snails