• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

So far love these Wav’s

Ok it’s only been one day but dear god they have a strong flow. Not to mention the magnet is really strong once placed on glass it’s near impossible to move the Wav. Now I will have to find the right flow and hopefully my placement is adequate. Guess time will tell

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    796 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 20

radiata

NJRC Member
I've used WAVs in the past and been happy with them. I did replace my four with Octo Pulse 4s. I recollect I liked the Octo's extended guarantees. The earliest WAVs had some issues, but hopefully your two are new.

The only caveat I must pass on to you is the existence on YouTube of a video of an Orchid Dottyback (Pseudochromis fridmani) getting sucked into one and getting spit out filleted. If you have fish that small, you should consider covering the intakes with something. Some sponge filter from another pump manufacturer has been used (but they'd require too much cleaning maintenance for me to be bothered with). Another work around is covering them with 1/4" clear netting (1/4" Clear Netting - Bulk Reef Supply) secured at the pump's base with a silicone band. A third would be to get an "anemone guard" like the ones currently being 3D-printed for other powerheads (but I'm not sure any exist yet for the WAV). A fourth method is one I thought up but never really tried ~ drill a series of very small holes in the intake area and connect the holes with a fine fishing line!

Something else to consider is the possibility of having a fish sucked onto the powerhead and not being able to get off (and hence dying there). When "controllable", powerful powerheads need to be cycled OFF alternatively being ON. That gives a fish time to free itself. It will also mitigate the possibility of a "cuke nuke" when a sea cucumber becomes attached to a powerhead and dies there, taking your whole tank with it into the afterlife (which has already happened to two NJRC members).

Finally, somebody is 3D-printing a piece that allows more diversity in the angle the WAVs are directed at. Sorry, I don't remember who is doing it...

Caveat emptor...

Thank you for your input. As of right now there are no small fish going in tank but I’m sure that may change in the future. I have these set at 30% at their highest but mostly 15-20 % since they are so strong. As far as your last statement I would love to know who makes them so o can check that out.

radiata

NJRC Member
Here's one of the "WAV Angle Adaptors":

You're on your own finding someone who can print them out for you!

radiata

NJRC Member
I did a search for the "anemone guard" for the WAV that I previously mentioned, but the only one I was able to locate was being sold on Etsy and is no longer available. I'm surprised there aren't more available considering the volume of guards being sold for other models of powerheads from other manufacturers.

I put this on another forum and I was
contacted by a member who is going to make these for me. People in this hobby are some of the nicest