• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

So, what happened to the coral farming industry? I missed something...

Hi Guys,
I finally got my 93 Cube up and running after almost a year of having stored in my garage.

I went to a local store here in Union County and was told that the while industry changed, and that coral prices are through the roof!

I'll be looking to start filling this baby up within the month. What did I miss? Gezzz.

Attachments

• 20210823_201223.jpg
    20210823_201223.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210823_201239.jpg
    20210823_201239.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210823_201249.jpg
    20210823_201249.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210823_201348.jpg
    20210823_201348.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 20210823_203341.jpg
    20210823_203341.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Ocean Gallery. Just went to pick up some green chromis to cycle the tank.
I have noticed that www corals pricing seemed high. I haven't been looking because I wasn't ready.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
Really a combination of things.
Prior to COVID.
A lot of the islands for fish and corals have been facing pressure from activists to shut down in order to protect their coral reefs. Eventually pressure won and I believe Bali (need a fact check on this NJR) was shut down for a while which sent the prices of hammers through the roof a long with a huge amount of other corals LPS and SPS alike. With The ability to go into wild “legally” limited this put massive demand on the mariculture farms. In addition cites (export licenses) and other exporting fees went through the roof which caused landed cost for corals to go up.
This process occurred for fish as well with key island like Hawaii ****ting down which effectively took Achilles and flame Angela out of circulations and made yellow tangs more valuable than Gem tangs !!!

now add COVID which has not spared any industry and their supply chain and you have very high prices across the industry

Really a combination of things.
Prior to COVID.
A lot of the islands for fish and corals have been facing pressure from activists to shut down in order to protect their coral reefs. Eventually pressure won and I believe Bali (need a fact check on this NJR) was shut down for a while which sent the prices of hammers through the roof a long with a huge amount of other corals LPS and SPS alike. With The ability to go into wild “legally” limited this put massive demand on the mariculture farms. In addition cites (export licenses) and other exporting fees went through the roof which caused landed cost for corals to go up.
This process occurred for fish as well with key island like Hawaii ****ting down which effectively took Achilles and flame Angela out of circulations and made yellow tangs more valuable than Gem tangs !!!

now add COVID which has not spared any industry and their supply chain and you have very high prices across the industry
Thanks for catching me up!