• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Soldering wires to an LED Circuit board

Does anyone know what type of soldering iron & flux is needed to solder wires to a circuit board. One of my Dual LED components in my light fixture needs to be re-soldered. Any ideas?

where are you locating? if you are in bridgewater or somerville area, I can help you.

answer your question, any flux and soldering gun will do. flux is use to transferring heat to solder. use a very very little flux only (tip your your pen is enough) don't use too much.

deadcpu said:
where are you locating? if you are in bridgewater or somerville area, I can help you.

I'm in South Jersey :( ... To far, to drive just to solder some wires. But thanks for the offer!

If someone close could help me, that would be great! It would save me spending money on a new soldering iron just for two wired :(

deadcpu said:

answer your question, any flux and soldering gun will do. flux is use to transferring heat to solder. ...

Not to put too fine a point on it, but this it not correct.

For electrical work on printed circuit boards you want a low wattage iron, about 25w, with a fine point.

For flux you must use rosin flux. Usually this is supplied as a core inside the solder. Do NOT use ACID flux with is usually sold as a paste, and is used for general plumbing work. Rosin flux is available as a paste or liquid, but you seldom need it. To be technically correct flux prevents the build up of oxides during the soldering process. By preventing the oxides from building up, the solder will stick to the work.

For solder you want either 63/37 or 60/40 solder. Usually you want a fine wire solder. You do not want 50/50, which was formally used for plumbing, until lead free solder was mandated.

If you have never soldered anything before practice on some junk parts first. When using the soldering iron, heat the work, not the solder. Then just touch the solder to the work and it will flow all around. Do not use too much. Good connections should look shiny and smooth. If they look dull and rough, you are not using enough heat.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
One more point to add to DaveK's post.
Use a solder vacuum to remove the old solder first.
I found that it was easier to start with no solder on that circut and less chance of having too much on it and it running to the next connector.

Hi. I haven't posted on here before however, I fix and repair electronics for a living. I'm located in Magnolia not to far from you. If you have the unit apart it will take but a few minutes to repair bad connections. I will only help with fish related repairs. Please not another broken TV. ;D

naso150 said:
Hi. I haven't posted on here before however, I fix and repair electronics for a living. I'm located in Magnolia not to far from you. If you have the unit apart it will take but a few minutes to repair bad connections. I will only help with fish related repairs. Please not another broken TV. ;D

I would like to take you up on that offer. I know it would be a quick fix, just dont have tools/exp to do it myself. Will shoot you a PM with my contact info. Thanks Alot!