• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Soldier crabs? sold at petco said to be reef safe?

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
hey guys, went to my local petco to pick up some hermits and snails found they had some weird crab so i called over the " fish expert " kid sounded like he knows what hes talking about and claims they kept these for 2 weeks now with no issues ive tried looking up some research online not much about these cool guys except they leave the water to go into shallow water/ sand to eat anyone ever kept one ??

Attachments

• sc1.jpeg
    sc1.jpeg
    162.1 KB · Views: 29
  • sc2.jpeg
    sc2.jpeg
    189 KB · Views: 25

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
It looks almost like a fiddler crab. If it's in that family, then odds are it won't survive long in that tank. If it is, I'm going to assume that it needs a type of wet/dry simulation in your DT.

nightmarepl

NJRC Member
yah not 100% sure what family that is from but that picture is from my tank i got like 2 inch sand bed seems to be just hanging around if je gets stressed by a fish or something he buries his body in my sand bed which looks awesome

I’ve kept um before but similar to fiddlers they are semi aquatic and I wouldn’t leave them without some type of land to escape the water, max ive kept mine is around a month. Pretty, never really bugged anything, but I would reccommend a terrarium or than a tank