• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Some fun with Photobucket's editor

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
When they redid photobucket they added an editing tab (or I did not see if before) and it actually is pretty good. I wanted to show you guys what some pics look like when edited.

I shoot with a Nikon D3100 with the stock lens (want to get a macro soon). Under the LEDs in my Display, the true color really shows through on the pictures. However, in my frag tank because the lighting is blue, some of the photos can get really washed out because it is very blue (I think the whitest bulb is 14k and I have like 2 of them). I have some great corals that I took pictures of and deleted them because they do not look anything like they really do.

One troublesome coral with photographing is acans as they have so many colors and depending on the light can get washed out. So here is the picture I took of my helix acans which is not terrible:
DSC_3030_zps0038d2ce.jpg

Here is the photo put through the editor just using the enhance button.
342eb666-e83f-4415-9464-20d2dddea71f_zps4546b64d.jpg

As you can see more of the colors have popped. This is probably a more acurate representation of the coral as we see it with the naked eye. It is also a bit more than I see under my lighting. One of the great things about acans is they can morph colors under different lightning.

Here is a little trick that some vendors use to sell a coral know as saturation. This is not what the coral looks like and will never look like. Just wanted to show you guys what a little photoshop magic can do.
436c3099-42e9-433c-82a5-d475938bd966_zps9594545e.jpg

Notice how "bright" these acans are now. This is kind of a tell tale sign of someone who loves the saturate button. This is turned all the way up but you can make subtle adjustments as well.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wow! This is neat. I can take my crappy looking photos and make them look fantastic. (I wonder if it works on pictures of my wife? :eek:)

I actually have been cursing out the new photobucket, being an old fart and not liking change. I still don’t like that the new cropping features don’t allow me to see the size of the photo. But this enhancement just might change my mind about the new photobucket.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hmm, I'll have to check that out whenever I get some free time.

Nice Acans by the way Mike!