• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Spike's reef

I finally decided to do a proper tale of the tank and decided to do one main thread to showcase all we have going on. This will show the work on the 90 to date, the 60 frag we are working on , and the 180 penisula we will be getting going soon. Also I will show the basement fish room that includes rodi station / saltwater mixing and my sump systems and electronics. I believe it will be benificial to help us see and track out progress,, and hopefully can help anyone new starting out. We are still newbies but feel we are learning a ton as we gom . I will slowly start adding here to not bore anyone and flood the page with my posts .

Hope this will interest a few of you and you enjoy following along.

Thanks in advance. James

Last edited:
I finally decided to do a proper tale of the tank and decided to do one main thread to showcase all we have going on. This will show the work on the 90 to date, the 60 frag we are working on , and the 180 penisula we will be getting going soon. Also I will show the basement fish room that includes rodi station / saltwater mixing and my sump systems and electronics. I believe it will be benificial to help us see and track out progress,, and hopefully can help anyone new starting out. We are still newbies but feel we are learning a ton as we gom . I will slowly start adding here to not bore anyone and flood the page with my posts .

Hope this will interest a few of you and you enjoy following along.

Thanks in advance. James
Well what you waiting for let’s go. So the First thing u did was?????

As a long time scuba diver, and saltwater fisherman I have always had a attraction to the ocean , it seems to bring my scrambled stressed out mind some peace and tranquility , so I decided a while back that when we finally got around to remodeling our bedroom I would take on the task of adding a saltwater fish tank. This would be the first tank for me since I was very young and had a small basic freshwater aquarium. Fast forward approx. 5 years or so and I now found myself in the middle of planning the new master bedroom in our home, so now was the time to make this dream a reality. I found an area in the space that would allow me a 4’ wide tank so I started from there, did some research and looked around extensively for used tanks and deals. Finally found a seller offering a used 90 gallon reef ready tank, e-shoppes r100 refugium , e-shopppes psk 75 skimmer , t5 light set up and a chiller included . After negotiations I was able to settle on a price that both I and a few friends who are in the industry felt was suitable for the equipment , so I made the deal.

As a long time scuba diver, and saltwater fisherman I have always had a attraction to the ocean , it seems to bring my scrambled stressed out mind some peace and tranquility , so I decided a while back that when we finally got around to remodeling our bedroom I would take on the task of adding a saltwater fish tank. This would be the first tank for me since I was very young and had a small basic freshwater aquarium. Fast forward approx. 5 years or so and I now found myself in the middle of planning the new master bedroom in our home, so now was the time to make this dream a reality. I found an area in the space that would allow me a 4’ wide tank so I started from there, did some research and looked around extensively for used tanks and deals. Finally found a seller offering a used 90 gallon reef ready tank, e-shoppes r100 refugium , e-shopppes psk 75 skimmer , t5 light set up and a chiller included . After negotiations I was able to settle on a price that both I and a few friends who are in the industry felt was suitable for the equipment , so I made the deal.
Tell me more tell me more “ how much dough did u spend “

Tank was now in my possession sometime around early august I would say, but I was still in the middle of the build of the space so it had to sit for a while until we finally installed it on 10/12/2019. I had the help of one of my buddies who maintains tanks commercially for the past 17 years so I felt I was in good hands and my wife and I would be off to a good start in the hobby . The DT as mentioned is in our bedroom and can be viewed from the hall also when the door is open so it fits the space nicely. I built a custom stand / cabinet overhead storage areas so it looks like a custom built in piece of cabinetry , pretty nice in my opinion. I am still working to finalize the exterior finish of this as it has been changed a few times already to allow for easier access and more overhead space for the upgraded led’s I would be adding shortly . I have recently decided to finish wrap the exterior in faux reclaimed barn wood to match the accent headboard wall I made. in the initial install we decided to place the sump in my crawl space below the bedroom, to cut down on noise from the sump and equipment. This was a great idea at the time, but after crawling up there a few times realized I needed to move some stuff around and get that into the full ceiling height area of the basement. Approx. 30 ‘feet away from the DT. We upon the initial install had piped in a waste drain from under the stand to the area where my sump pump is. Since my water main is there I had decided to use that area as my RODI / mixing station area also, but now decided to move the sump there. So approx. 1 month after being up and running cut it all out, re-piped it in and had the sump moved into a better area for my back.

That was just the tip of the iceberg my friend, The bleeding hasn't stopped since that day .

But its only money , Let me ask you have you ever seen a bank truck following a hearse ? I haven' t so I am spending it as I go LOL .
I’m same way/ “save it for who” spend like today is last day,, my retirement plan is ,, Death,,