• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Splitting anemone physically?

Frist
What kind of anemone do you have and how big.

Consider this

Althought its very helpful to the hobby that they propogate anemones. I dont think this a very good way of doing it.

It causes alot of stress in the animals and can sometimes cause death if the body does not fuse together correctlty.

You have to make prescise cuts along the petal disc on the bottum and make even halfs to ensure that they fuse together correctly.

BTAs are more hardy and can easily be propogated this way some have had success with harder anemones like carpets and Magnifica. Sometimes they will split by rock slide or falled frag.

I have a rbta 10in in diameter, been trying to get it split on it's own by feeding it almost daily past two weeks and doing bigger water change. Scared that I will kill it by cutting it in half, it's a beautiful rbta that I paid $80 for and possibly can't replace, reason why I haven't done it yet. Since you put it that way I guess I'll wait for it to split on its own.

There was an exchange of ideas on here a couple months ago regarding splitting of anemones. These animals exert sooo much energy when they split and it can leave them lookin sluggish for days or even weeks. Its a defensive mechanism when they feel threatened.

My RBTAs have only split when i have disturbed them or their area early in the morning or late at night.

Consider it a good thing that you have a 10 inch RBTA, it is a testament to your husbandry. Mine was bigger then a dinner plate when it split 12 - 14 inches. Your getting close just hold out and youll have 2.