• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Sro int protein skimmer

I finally set up my SRO 3000 INT skimmer last weekend. wow...what a nice skimmer! Its perfect for my 210 fowlr and just barley fitted in the sump area and under the stand. Now i know why many people opt for external skimmers. This skimmer was pulling some major bubbles within hours of installing. That said, im curious what people suggest I can put on the water outlet pipe thats just above the water level . Its currently about 1/8" above the water and makes that loud water fall noise. The outlet pipe must be above the water per Coralvue. Coralvue sells an outlet vent but its $50!! Theres has to be another way off resolving this without spending $50 on a pipe! I believe their pipes are also metric so theyre not easy to match . Any suggestions are appreciated. thanks

Pete

I will try to google the link for you, but there is one on RC of people making a vent on their own using a plastic spacer/rubber spacer that they clamped to another pipe. I'm at work so can't google it :/

I agree though I have the XP1000SSS for my 75g and it seems like it'll be a beast!

Someone on RC posted a pic where they attached a 2"x2x1.5 sanitary T and put a 1.5 pvc piece on the top section for vent. They did have to sand the T in order to for the outlet pipe to fit.

Coralvue send me the converter pipe for the output pipe.(40mm to 1.5") I was then able to connect a T and all is good now. The skimmer has been running for only a week but its doing a great job already!!

Brian
I have to strongly disagree with your opinion!!! I was only updating whoever was interested in the progress of my mod for the skimmer. I wasnt giving a step by step tutorial..as mentioned in the thread , there are plenty of pics in the Coralvue forum on RC for this mod. I would also be happy to elaborate for anyone who needed more details or even send them a pic.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
That's me being lazy and not searching. ;)

I have a Reef Octo. XS-160 (Great skimmer, pulls out a ton of gunk) and a NWB-110. The noise and splashing like you said are two issues I need to address. The inside of my stands are white from the saltwater splashing. Now that I searched I see it's a T-fitting and vented cap. Biggest problem like you said is that the fittings are metric. How much was the metric to inch adapter?