• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Staghorns found :)

Very good news - and lets' not forget coral restoration foundation - who we support in FL growing staghorns.

But I had to LOL when they said global warming killed the corals in the keys - but also global warming created a suitable habitat further north! I think a more likely answer is that we have no clue what the heck the ocean is hiding. I mean when I was growing up and saw fossilized coelacanth, was told those were extinct for millions of years and then one day a fisherman in south africa hooks one!

Honestly I think we know more about "space" than we do about the oceans.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Is it me, or is posting the exact location perhaps a bad idea??

Believe it or not, coral theft isn't an issue in FLA, maybe because of the strict penalties.....I think only 5 or 6 arrests in the past 20 years.

The penalties for illegally taking coral in Florida are:
First offense: Second-degree misdemeanor, which is up to $500, 60 days in jail, or both based on the judge's discretion.
Second offense within three years: First-degree misdemeanor, which is up to $1,000, one year in jail, or both. Mandatory minimum fine of $250.
Third offense within five years: First-degree misdemeanor, which is up to $1,000, one year in jail or both. Mandatory minimum fine of $500. Suspension of hunting, fishing and boating permits by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.
Fourth offense within 10 years: First-degree misdemeanor, which is up to $1,000, one year in jail or both. Mandatory minimum fine of $750. Suspension of hunting, fishing and boating permits by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission.

My family goes to the Ft Lauderdale area regularly and I was thrilled to hear that there were areas in Florida where corals were growing so well. Those corals looked very healthy to me. Much nicer than many of the staghorn’s I’ve seen snorkeling in the Keys.

Hawkeye: It’s interesting; I had a different take on the global warming comment. I am by no means a marine biologist, but when I first started hearing about global warming (years, perhaps decades ago), my hope was that if corals were to die where the waters were too warm perhaps they may take foot in areas that were the new correct temp range. When I started reading the article that was my first thought, or perhaps hope. But it made some sense to me. Again, maybe this is just me trying to be optimistic in the face of the potential to lose so many existing coral habitats. I actually hope though that there is some truth to that comment.

Eric