• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Stand for 300 gallon tank

I'm looking to upgrade to a 300 gallon tank. The tank that I'm looking at is a 96x30x25. Now I've built a stand for 55, 90 gallon tank, with 2x4's but not anything bigger. I'm pretty nervous about building this stand. I really can't afford to have one build with steel after buying this tank. So it will have to be made from wood. This is going to add more weight to the floor (I think). I can really use some ideas. Thanks in advance.

I am thinking that you can use the same type of stand but use 2X6's instead of 2X4's. Just need a couple vertical braces in the middle.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you do the Reef Central design and use 2 x 6 top pieces (red and yellow boards) with a center brace (not shown in the picture), that should be more than enough to easily hold a 300 gallon tank. I would also put in a couple more cross braces (blue boards) in the top frame.

Stand.jpg

I agree with Paul,believe it or not wood has more strength than we would think.If you didnt want to do 2x6's Im sure 2x4's doubled would work too..

If you do the Reef Central design and use 2 x 6 top pieces (red and yellow boards) with a center brace (not shown in the picture), that should be more than enough to easily hold a 300 gallon tank. I would also put in a couple more cross braces (blue boards) in the top frame.

Stand.jpg

Like it... But I would just put 2 2X4 braces vertically in the middle....

Thanks guys for the response. Just thinking of 300 gallons of water in my house, makes my heart beat fast. I think I will go with the 2x6 and add a vertical brace in the center. I now have to think of bracing the floor.

Thanks guys for the response. Just thinking of 300 gallons of water in my house, makes my heart beat fast. I think I will go with the 2x6 and add a vertical brace in the center. I now have to think of bracing the floor.

Bracing the floor? I assume that you mean in the basement? (if the tank is on the first floor). It all depends on where the tank is and what way the floor joists are running. If the tank is near an outside wall and the floor joists run perpendicular to the stand that is a better situation than if the floor joists run parallel to the stand. 300 gals is a lot of weight so I would def look into the bracing underneath. Good thinking in advance.

I built the stand for my 220 with all 2x4s and vertical braces. Its been fine.

You could build a stand for a 500gal with 24 but would need many vertical supports. Using the 2X6 will allow a longer span with only 1 support (one each side) in the middle.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
In regard to the floor support, talk to Sunny (Monroereef). He recently put a big tank up against a supporting wall with lam-beams running perpendicular to the supporting wall. He still installed an additional supporting wall in the basement to support the front side of the tank. A conventional stick structure can not support almost two tons (dead weight) without additional support below.

I've built all my stands including my current 180 using 2x4s. 2x4s are surprisingly strong. Just think of your house. The walls are 2x4s and depending on your style of house, they are supporting an upper floor plus a roof not to mention any weight of snow in the winter. I'm sure you'll be fine. To be sure, add extra bracing. Regarding your floor, that a different animal. If your not on a slab and are over a basement, I would consider some lally columns for added support.

Thanks everyone for the responce so far. I think I will be OK building the stand. Now I have to worry about the floor supporting the tank when its full AND having people around the tank. I took this pic today to see what you guys think about me adding more support. I added 2x8's before putting up my 215 and so far so good. The red rectangle in the pic represents the 300 gallon tank. As you can see, the tank does not sit on top of the steel I beam. Its probably 2-3 inches off. Thats how my current 215 is now. I'm hoping that I can sister more 2x8's instead of adding them across the current ones now with lally colums. So what do you think? Will the floor be OK if I add more 2x8's by sistering them?

97ca2be1.jpg