• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

star fish trouble

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Guys, take a look at my star fish, I think something may be eating his legs. He's moving around and was perfectly fine when I saw him this morning 0616162218c.jpg

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
If this is the case, I have 3hermit crabs and 1 hitchhiking mantis shrimp who would be my culprits

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
That's the thing. I've been feeding this guy (not sure if he's been eating though)

I squirt him with reef Chilli 1x per week and I read that they feed on film algae n what not

@art13. How can i save him?

SeahorseKeeper

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately, I am not aware of any way to save these guys when it gets to this point. I would try to keep it away from anything that could possibly pick at it.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure what you can do, as I'm not familiar with their care, I do know starfish are a lot harder to keep than people think, it's why I don't have one in my current tank yet

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Oh boy, ok for now I'll keep an eye on him and see if I can get maybe an acclimation box to isolate him. Right now he's still moving around and doesn't seem to be getting worse. I'll keep peeps posted

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Temporary holding cell. I'll leave him in here, keep trying to feed em and cross my fingers IMG_20160617_082438.jpgIMG_20160617_082354.jpg

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
I had a red linka for the better part of 18 months*. About 6 months ago two of it's 'arms' began to recede a bit, much like the arm on the bottom left of yours. Though well fed with various foods, and apparently eating, it appeared to be slowly starving. 4 months back it crawled into the rockwork and I haven't seen it since. A lot of reading seemed to indicate that 18 months was a long run for a starfish in an aquarium, as many won't survive beyond 6 months. There are also many that report regardless of feeding routine in captivity starfish will eventually starve, though I could never uncover a reason why, though it seems to be a consensus amongst many on the net (and the net never provides misinformation).
Best of luck with it, maybe isolation and a variety of fresh foods will help. Along with the norm I used to give mine a bit of seaweed or raw salmon (or any other fish) whenever we cooked any and it seemed to take them readily.

*Its pic is on the photo of the month, from last September, so I've been winning photo of the month for 10 months now, thats not a hint to the mods

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Well, he's in a breeder net for now, still moving around. I tossed in a veggie chip so lets see if it's still there when I get home from work tonight

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
@art13 has already said it, the poor guy is starving. I also agree that they are harder to keep than people think. I'd pick up a clam and freeze it and then shave off thin pieces and try feeding that.

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
OK cool, thank you all who responded. I don't have a clam but I do have mysis so I'll try that. I also have some dulse (sea veggie <--kelp) which I'll try to feed him as well

Crossing my fingers (I don't take the loss of an animal well)

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
Update on this

I released him back into the tank, he seems to have fully recovered

no clams, he ignored the mysis, I think he ate algae strips but not sure. He was on the walls of the breeders box which had algae all over it. For now I am going to watch him and monitor IMG_20160704_105735.jpg